Cardiac/Vascular Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgeon_hopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently thought that I have recently been fascinated with cardiac and vascular surgery (after I changed my mind from Oto or Orthopaedic), and so I have a few quick questions:

1. How does residency work for these programs? Is it a fellowship after general surgery residency or what?

2. Are the hours as bad as general surgery?

3. How competitive is it? This is going to freak you guys out, but I'm a high schooler (as some of you may know) who is already gunning for the MCATs (after my SATs and all that is taken care of). Even though I'm not studying for USMLE or something, I still wanted to know how competitive something is because I like to be reasonable, and not just assume that I'm going to be an orthopaedic surgeon, because quite frankly, chances are I won't. I also understand that by the time I get into med school (which would be in 2012 should I make it 1st try), the market will change, and so will competitiveness. But so far based on previous and/or current trends, how competitive do you think it is? Can I be about average and still do it, or do I have to be amazing and maybe make (such as cardiology or something)

so yeah. I'd especially like to know the answer to the last 2. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I recently thought that I have recently been fascinated with cardiac and vascular surgery (after I changed my mind from Oto or Orthopaedic), and so I have a few quick questions:

1. How does residency work for these programs? Is it a fellowship after general surgery residency or what?

2. Are the hours as bad as general surgery?

3. How competitive is it? This is going to freak you guys out, but I'm a high schooler (as some of you may know) who is already gunning for the MCATs (after my SATs and all that is taken care of). Even though I'm not studying for USMLE or something, I still wanted to know how competitive something is because I like to be reasonable, and not just assume that I'm going to be an orthopaedic surgeon, because quite frankly, chances are I won't. I also understand that by the time I get into med school (which would be in 2012 should I make it 1st try), the market will change, and so will competitiveness. But so far based on previous and/or current trends, how competitive do you think it is? Can I be about average and still do it, or do I have to be amazing and maybe make (such as cardiology or something)

so yeah. I'd especially like to know the answer to the last 2. Thanks in advance.

1. Vascular Surgery is often a 2 year fellowship after completion of a 5 year General Surgery residency. Cardiothoracic Surgery is often a 2 or 3 year (depending on the program) fellowship after completion of a 5 year General Surgery residency.

2. Depends on what you mean "bad". Personally I know some Vascular and CT surgeons with work weeks that are much longer than those of some General Surgeons. Different hospital sizes, patient loads and size of the service all play a role. Private practice vs group practice, academic/teaching vs nonteaching, community vs university.

3. Like many specialties competition waxes and wanes every few years. There will always be some level of need for all types of surgeons. I dont think there is any way to accurately predict the need for different areas of medicine...at least not to any degree of certainty. Also, you are talking about a field that you will not be entering until 2024.

I know youre in high school and looking ahead to your future but you need to take every step as it comes.

I didnt know I wanted to be a physician until 2nd year of college and I didnt know I wanted to be a surgeon until 3rd year of medical school.

I applaud your desire to research and gather as much information as possible about what you are interested in. I hope you do the same for many other career choices.

If you dont broaden your view now you may miss some great things along the way.

Listen, I completely understand when you say that you are in high school, and want to be surgeon. I saw my first surgery at 15 and I was hooked. But I encoruge you to explore other careers, that way you dont have any nagging doubts about not exploring your options when you are finally a doctor.

Try not to worry about the MCAT or USMLE's right now, instead try to grow as a person and learn about yourslef and your peers...in fact be like any high school kid and expend your energies in sports and trying to get a girlfriend/boyfrined and try to get laid.

this topic has been discussed numerous times. there's not much work in pure cardiac surgery (compared to before), and it is projected that it will only get worse. newly minted fellowship grads have a tough time finding work and many go back to doing general surgery or thoracic jobs until they can snag a legit CT job. yeah everyone knows that one dude who got a tight CT job paying high six figures straight out of fellowship, but those are the rare exception these days.