Cardiologists at Hospitalists(and residencies)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.


Full Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2008
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I have several questions about cardiology.

-First of what percentage of cardiologists are hospitalists?
-Which types of of cardiologists are most likely to be hospitalists?
-What is the difference between invasive and interventional cardiology (or are they simply synonyms)?

-How long are the fellowships for the following positions(I am assuming this is after you do a residency in internal medicine)
  1. Non invasive cardiology(is this just the cardiology you take after an im residency)​
  2. Invasive cardiology(is this after cardiology fellowship?)​
  3. Interventional cardiology (assuming if these two are different)​
  4. Heart transplant​
-Isn't heart transplant a sub specialty of general surgery or of cardiology?

-Also are there residencies out there that let you combine internal medicine and cardiology for a shorter residency?​

Can anybody clarify the different residencies with cardiology?​


Full Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2007
Reaction score
Rule #1. Google it. you'll find all the answers
Rule #2. Either use the search feature in the SDN, or run through the thread topics within the forum, to see if your question has already been asked or answered.

-A hospitalist is a general IM, FP, Peds, or GS boarded doctor who, depending on how the hospital is run, will usually 1. be responsible for all acute issues of inpatients, including emergencies, medication re-orders, etc. 2. be responsible for temporarily acting is the primary physician for any patient who does not have a primary care doc, and is admitted via the ER. No cardiologist is a hospitalist, because they have better things to do. Some cardiology fellows might moonlight as a hospitalist for some extra cash while they do their fellowship.

I hate the term invasive cardiology. It sounds so.... well... invasive. Theres no such thing... You are thinking of Interventional Cardiology.

Theres no such thing as noninvasive Cardiology.

Once you complete 3 years of Internal Med, you can apply for a 3 year Cardiolvascular Disease fellowship, and you'll be a cardiologist when you finish. After you are a cardiologist (or during your fellowship), you can apply for a subspecialty fellowship in Interventional, Electrophysiology, or Nuclear/Imaging. You can also do a nonaccredited/research/post-doc fellowship in Heart Transplant or Congestive Failure, and others. I believe that most of these sub-specialty fellowships are one year long.

If you did a heart transplant fellowship of this type, you wouldnt be doing the transplant itself. You would specialize in caring for patients who need, or have had a transplant. You'll need to know all about the unique complications of post-transplant patients, since their hearts and lungs are not so well aquainted yet, and their hearts do not have the normal autonomic nervous supply. And then there's the other complications of transplant in general...
The heart transplant itself is done by a Cardiothoracic surgeon... who has done 5 years of general surgery residency after med school, plus (I believe) 2 years of Cardiothoracic surgery specialty fellowship.

Theres another thread in this forum discussing the American Board of Internal Med research-track residencies. These residencies will "combine" and usually guarantee you a seat in the Cardiology fellowship at that institution, if you are interested in doing research in that particular field. However this pathway is not shorter, and sometimes longer. Rather than 3years of IM and 3years of Cardiology, you will do 2years of IM, 2years of cardiovascular disease research, and 2 years of clinical cardiology.

hope that helps