Cardiology, Emergency Medicine, Neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IDFTIGER

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is cardiology a hard fellowship for DO's to attain? Is it competitive? Also, what other IM specialites are competitive?

How hard is it for a DO to get an ER residency?

Finally, how about if a DO decides on Neurology, how hard would it be to get into that field?

Members don't see this ad.

Neurology hasn't been terribly tough in the previous few years, but I hear its on the upswing again. DO's have matched into much tougher fields, so I don't see why neuro is any different.

Cardiology, along with GI, are currently the toughest IM fellowships to get. Hem/Onc is a step below, but still fairly competitive. I don't know if being a DO is going to greatly hinder your chances of a cardiology fellowship. When applying for fellowships, they look at the quality and reputation of the IM residency you did. Someone who graduated from Wash U med and then went onto a podunk community IM program is going to have a much harder time getting one of these fellowships. So go to a good IM program, work your butt off, get good recs from your attendings and PD and you'll have your shot at it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, it makes a huge difference if you're referring to allo or osteopathic residency programs. Not sure about the other specialties, but there are many DO EM programs.

Traditionally, it is more difficult for a DO to match at an allo program. Not impossible, not unheard of, just tougher.

However, if you consider applying to the allo and osteo match, you greatly increase your chances of getting a residency somewhere.

Is cardiology a hard fellowship for DO's to attain?

Compared to MDs? Perhaps...there are more allopathic fellowships than osteopathic. But its not rare.

Is it competitive?

Yes

Also, what other IM specialites are competitive?

GI

How hard is it for a DO to get an ER residency?

LOTS of DOs in EMED

Finally, how about if a DO decides on Neurology, how hard would it be to get into that field?

Neuro isnt terribly competitive, but there arent a ton of spots out there.

thx for the link!! Dr. Quinn is a NSU grad!!

However, if you consider applying to the allo and osteo match, you greatly increase your chances of getting a residency somewhere.

Yeah, but if you match into a DO program (which their match is first), then you are obligated to take it. So in other words, you wouldn't be able to pick between an allo and an osteo program.

That's true. I've heard that you can apply for the osteo match and not rank your choices, but I need someone who has experienced the match to confirm this. I think that as you get closer you'll have a pretty good idea of where you'll likely match based on USMLE/COMLEX, GPA, interview, LOR, etc. It'd suck to only apply to allo programs and get 0 interviews.

While we're on this subject, can anyone explain how the prematch works?