Cardiology Fellowship - AOA vs ACGME?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C3D4E5F6G7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in AOA IM residency training. I would like to get into Interventional Cardiology eventually. What are the chances that I could get into IC? I have seen most of the IC programs require ACGME and ABIM cert. Should I switch to ACGME IM? What is your advise? Appreciate.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently in AOA IM residency training. I would like to get into Interventional Cardiology eventually. What are the chances that I could get into IC? I have seen most of the IC programs require ACGME and ABIM cert. Should I switch to ACGME IM? What is your advise? Appreciate.

Yes its very doable. When I was a resident, most of our interventional cardiology fellows were DO's from AOA programs. I was in an ACGME IM program.

Yes its very doable. When I was a resident, most of our interventional cardiology fellows were DO's from AOA programs. I was in an ACGME IM program.

Can AOA IM resident sit for ABIM cert? Because most Interventional Cardiology (I think 100% ACGME) requires ABIM cert. I don't know if they would accept ABOIM cert. Just FYI: I am in OGME-1 now.

What you are saying AOA Cardiology has no problem in applying ACGME Interventional Cardiology. I guess that won't be my concern anymore. Can any current fellowship "donate" your precious time to educate me what I needed the most in pursuing my dream? Given my COMLEX level 1 and 2 was below 480, I don't know how competitive I am in the application pool. I did not take USMLE. I have done Cardiology once in third year as my elective and another in 4th year for my core rotation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can AOA IM resident sit for ABIM cert? Because most Interventional Cardiology (I think 100% ACGME) requires ABIM cert. I don't know if they would accept ABOIM cert. Just FYI: I am in OGME-1 now.

What you are saying AOA Cardiology has no problem in applying ACGME Interventional Cardiology. I guess that won't be my concern anymore. Can any current fellowship "donate" your precious time to educate me what I needed the most in pursuing my dream? Given my COMLEX level 1 and 2 was below 480, I don't know how competitive I am in the application pool. I did not take USMLE. I have done Cardiology once in third year as my elective and another in 4th year for my core rotation.

1. You do not need to take the ABIM to enter an ACGME program
-Two fellows at my medicine program were both AOA grads with AOA certification....no ABIM
2. I am not sure how much board scores really matter at this point. Research matters WAY more
3. With merger, things will change a little. For the better? I don't know......no one does
4. I did not take USMLE

Thank you very much for your detail info. I think I still have hope to get into Interventional Cardiology.
Do you mind telling me which program offered you fellowship in IC?

i thought starting 2015, to be able to do an ACGME fellowship you had to do an ACGME residency….will the merger change this? or does that rule now become moot?

i thought starting 2015, to be able to do an ACGME fellowship you had to do an ACGME residency….will the merger change this? or does that rule now become moot?

Rule is now moot.