Cardiology fellowship matching: OHSU, Cleveland Clinic, U Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tivark

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey would anyone want to shine some light on the cardiology match rates on these 3 institutions?

cleveland clinic ohio claims to match 80% of their cardiology applicants somewhere, despite many applicants having visa issues etc.. if this is true why is their internal med program still not highly regarded?

does anyone know the match rates for OHSU and U Cincy? thanks ppl.

Members don't see this ad.

i believe this is because the cardiology faculty is very well connected. A highly regarded faculty can write big letters, which can mean a lot more than scores for fellowship application. I think Cedars in LA has a similar rep- really good cardio placement somewhat out of proportion to the caliber of the residents. Cedars puts out good docs, to be sure (I am very interested in their program!) but the names associated with LOR carry significant weight. I am speculating a similar situation exists with CC

Members don't see this ad :)
yup it looks like most OHSU int med graduates that apply for cardiology matched only at their home program, U florida, U washington or U new mexico in the last few years.

i wonder if its matching problems or just not enough that want to get into cards? are there many that end up unmatched from their program? maybe current residents from there could comment.

I can't speak for those programs, but for Case/UH, there are usually 6-10 people a year who want to do cards, and every year one person doesn't match. I think that is probably a typical rate for most decent IM programs. Cards is competitive, but there are a lot of spots out there. Don't stress too much about where you go affecting where you get a cardiology spot. If you go to a decent program (and do well there) you will be fine.

yup it looks like most OHSU int med graduates that apply for cardiology matched only at their home program, U florida, U washington or U new mexico in the last few years.

i wonder if its matching problems or just not enough that want to get into cards? are there many that end up unmatched from their program? maybe current residents from there could comment.

From my perspective (as an R1, 3 months in), OHSU is not the sort of place that attracts gunners which means 2 things:
1. Fewer people that want to do cards in general - I think there are 2 or 3 in the R2 and 3 classes and I don't know anyone in my class who's convinced they want to do it.
2. Those that do want to do cards tend to want to go to a program w/ a similar attitude so a lot of them stay close.

The other thing that's interesting is that, at least for my class, >60% of the class is married, most to non-physicians and about 1/2 of those have children. The upper level classes are similar in marrieds but not as many kids. This means that a lot of folks have put down roots here (or never had them anywhere else) and so when it comes time for fellowships they don't want to leave. Since it's OHSU or nothing around here (except for a GIM fellowship at Kaiser), people stay at OHSU, even those who don't want academic careers. I

One other thing to think about is that, statistically, >1/2 of the people graduating in IM go on to work as internists. That said, ~1/3 or more of those people matched in their R3 year and so, while they're technically going on to work as a hospitalist, they're really just doing that for a year waiting for the fellowship to start. As the hospitalist business keeps ramping up and med school debt does too, I think you'll see a lot more people from all kinds of programs who do that for a year or 2 b/w residency and fellowship.

I honestly think that, w/ the exception of the big (pick a number here but let's say 5 or possibly 10) programs in the country, where you're from has less to do with where you match for a fellowship than how well you did and the kind of person you are.

Good luck,
BE now (PE)

I'm guessing that based on the desired comparison to Cleveland Clinic, Case, and Cincinnati, you were asking about information regarding Ohio State University?? The replies have all been about Oregon Health Systems which is abbreviated OHSU (Ohio State is OSU). Just a warning as you interpret the data given.

My last year at OHSU for school, the cardiology department had a little bit of chaos. So the failure to match at programs other than original home programs may reflect a cardiology department in transition.

I'm guessing that based on the desired comparison to Cleveland Clinic, Case, and Cincinnati, you were asking about information regarding Ohio State University?? The replies have all been about Oregon Health Systems which is abbreviated OHSU (Ohio State is OSU). Just a warning as you interpret the data given.

oh no i did mean oregon health science university.. not OSU

Uh... Oregon Health & Science University. Before they merged with the Oregon Graduate Institute (engineering and computer sciences) they were Oregon Health Sciences University. Back in the 70s the University of Oregon Medical School.