Cardiology III or Classic III

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FourniersGreenGang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which between these two models do you guys think is better for an incoming 1st year who needs to buy a stethoscope?

Members don't see this ad.

Really doesn't matter-either would suit your needs. Cardio III is probably considered the "better" and more expensive of the two tho. Just don't get the master cardio, so you can at least learn to use the bell.

Reactions: 1 users
I paid $0, I suggest you do the same or get as close to it as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really doesn't matter-either would suit your needs. Cardio III is probably considered the "better" and more expensive of the two tho. Just don't get the master cardio, so you can at least learn to use the bell.

Sorry, could you explain why not to get the master cardio over the cardio III? Not money or anything but it sounds like you mean practical use? New to steths

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry, could you explain why not to get the master cardio over the cardio III? Not money or anything but it sounds like you mean practical use? New to steths

Bell.jpg

Diaphragm.jpg

As a student and in your physical exam classes you will be taught and will want to learn to utilize both ends of a traditional stethoscope to hear different types of heart sounds. In your practical exams you will receive points for listening once with the diaphragm side and again with the bell side of your stethoscope. The master cardio stethoscope is not a "traditional" stethoscope design in that it lacks a traditional bell.

41g537zq4QL.jpg

Hope this helps, and good luck with you your purchase return :naughty:

It's about the ears between the scope more than anything else. You'll understand come murmur time. Don't get stuck in the hype; be frugal and yet functional.

Bell.jpg

Diaphragm.jpg

As a student and in your physical exam classes you will be taught and will want to learn to utilize both ends of a traditional stethoscope to hear different types of heart sounds. In your practical exams you will receive points for listening once with the diaphragm side and again with the bell side of your stethoscope. The master cardio stethoscope is not a "traditional" stethoscope design in that it lacks a traditional bell.

41g537zq4QL.jpg

Hope this helps, and good luck with you your purchase return :naughty:

Master cardio has both bell and diaphragm on the same side. Same with Cardio III, and I believe Classic III. With Cardio III you get an adult and a pediatric head, both with bell and diaphragm.

Master cardio has both bell and diaphragm on the same side. Same with Cardio III, and I believe Classic III. With Cardio III you get an adult and a pediatric head, both with bell and diaphragm.

Hence why I said the master cardio lacks a "traditional bell".

(I know you know this @SLC ) but for those that don't, with the cardio III you can remove the pediatric diaphragm so that you have a traditional bell on one side--can't do this with the master. I was trying to keep it simple in my explanation for the newbs rather than getting in to the nitty gritty of the dual purpose diaphragm that the Littmann's have...and what I said about OSCEs giving points for listening with both sides of the stethoscope is still relevant..and you also have a pediatric sized diaphragm come your peds rotation if you choose to put it back on.

Again, for an incoming MS1 I'd recommend getting a stethoscope where you can learn to use a TRADITIONAL bell, ala cardio/classic III vs something like a master cardio.

Last edited:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but basically the Cardio III comes with the pediatric bell while the Classic III is just the adult one? I'm in a similar situation as OP and need a Stethescope with a bell. I'd prefer the Classic III because it's ~$100 cheaper than Cardio III but not sure if there are any differences I don't know about.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but basically the Cardio III comes with the pediatric bell while the Classic III is just the adult one? I'm in a similar situation as OP and need a Stethescope with a bell. I'd prefer the Classic III because it's ~$100 cheaper than Cardio III but not sure if there are any differences I don't know about.

Yep, you got it. It's really a non issue. Either one would be fine. You don't HAVE to have the pediatric diaphragm that comes on the cardiology III. I took it off and never put it back on mine, even during my peds rotation. Get the Classic III if you want to save 100 dollars. Get the Cardo III if you want to be fancy or get a great deal on it or if someone else is footing the bill...etc etc.

Again, it really doesn't matter. The Classic III will work perfectly for you. The Cardio III is what was offered at my school so I think most people just purchased it when we started hence most people in my class have that, but I have seen people with all sorts of different stethoscopes in the class as well. It hasn't mattered, just get something with a traditional bell as I stated before.

I went cardiology 4 after owning a welch Allyn harvey elite. I think the are great in different ways. The cardio 4 has great low end and make hearing the obvious stuff much easier in a noisy environment. But Im also a neophyte so take this with a grain of salt.

Ok, so with the master cardio you get the pitches based on the pressure you apply right? Is it like if you have a single head steth for exams you have to use someone's double head steth?

Harvey Elite by Welch Allen is comparable also. I wouldn't give too much concern to getting the "best" one, as our novice ears and personal preference make that very subjective.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, you got it. It's really a non issue. Either one would be fine. You don't HAVE to have the pediatric diaphragm that comes on the cardiology III. I took it off and never put it back on mine, even during my peds rotation. Get the Classic III if you want to save 100 dollars. Get the Cardo III if you want to be fancy or get a great deal on it or if someone else is footing the bill...etc etc.

Again, it really doesn't matter. The Classic III will work perfectly for you. The Cardio III is what was offered at my school so I think most people just purchased it when we started hence most people in my class have that, but I have seen people with all sorts of different stethoscopes in the class as well. It hasn't mattered, just get something with a traditional bell as I stated before.

Ok, so with the master cardio you get the pitches based on the pressure you apply right? Is it like if you have a single head steth for exams you have to use someone's double head steth?

Meant to quote you Ben

Or you verbalize that you are listening with both bell and diaphragm.

Reactions: 2 users
You get the pressure tuning with the harvey elite as well. I think the difference for me is the low end noise difference. I struggled to hear extra heart sounds and some low end murmurs with my harvey elite. I felt it was because of the ribbed diaphragm (just my opinion). The cardio 3-4 have a non ribbed diaphragm and I get a better contact which may be the difference in the low end im hearing. I like them both, so much so I kept the harvey elite instead of selling it. :)

also there is a discernible weight difference for those that wear it on the neck.

You get the pressure tuning with the harvey elite as well. I think the difference for me is the low end noise difference. I struggled to hear extra heart sounds and some low end murmurs with my harvey elite. I felt it was because of the ribbed diaphragm (just my opinion). The cardio 3-4 have a non ribbed diaphragm and I get a better contact which may be the difference in the low end im hearing. I like them both, so much so I kept the harvey elite instead of selling it. :)

also there is a discernible weight difference for those that wear it on the neck.
As in, the Cardio III is heavier?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

The welch allyn Harvey Elite is heavier.

Is the new Cardiology IV worth considering over the Cardiology III? They are both sold for a similar price on Amazon and reviews seem to indicate that the IV is slightly better. Has anyone been able to compare both? Thank you!

Amazon product

Is the new Cardiology IV worth considering over the Cardiology III? They are both sold for a similar price on Amazon and reviews seem to indicate that the IV is slightly better. Has anyone been able to compare both? Thank you!

Amazon product

Going to piggy back on this....if you have a Cardio III is it necessary to get a Cardio IV?

The major difference is the that the bell now rotates on the 4 like the harvey elite. The weights are almost identical. I have a 4 but never owned a 3 so I cant compare the auscultation between the 2. For similar cost Id opt for the newer technology but thats just me.

I just got the 4 actually! I saw that it has a 7 year warranty as opposed to the 5 year on the 3. While I don't anticipate having to use it, that plus the supposed increased sound quality made it seem very worth it to spend the extra 10 bucks. I am not disappointed, this thing is top notch.