Cardiology III vs Harvey Elite vs Classic II SE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i have a harvey elite and i love it. the only problem with it is the actual diaphragm seems like it's made out of laminated construction paper- i dunno how durable it is. also, it is a tad bit shorter than the littmanns, but i dont mind.

i bought mine on sale from steeles.com for about $130 shipped. if you buy the student version it comes with a free pediatriac diaphragm kit. you can check on ebay too, sometimes they are sold dirt cheap

You must have the white diaphragm. Thats what mine came with (ten years ago). You can get the newer black diaphragm which is made out of hard plastic. You should change out the diaphragm once in a (long) while, because they get flimsy.

About the issue of being too short. Welch Allen has addressed this, and the new Elite and DLX are now available in 28" - an inch longer than Littmanns.

Members don't see this ad.

That is why I said unless you have hearing problems. If you have hearing problems then it is perfectly acceptable because you need the amplification. It is the same thing as buying a 2000 dollar guitar if you don't know how to play yet.

The buy the most expensive mentality is toolish in every area of life. More expensive does not equate to better. Not to mention stethoscopes develop legs and walk away, so if you want to plop the 300 dollars and have it stolen then go for it.

I was saying that the default though of "unless you have hearing problems you're a tool".

I don't really like the guitar analogy. An expensive guitar is $2,000, compared to a cheap guitar that is what? (i have no idea, $300?) Here you're talking about something that is $150 vs $250. The price difference is not really THAT absurd for everyone to think by default that electronic stethoscope + no handicap = tool.

I was saying that the default though of "unless you have hearing problems you're a tool".

I don't really like the guitar analogy. An expensive guitar is $2,000, compared to a cheap guitar that is what? (i have no idea, $300?) Here you're talking about something that is $150 vs $250. The price difference is not really THAT absurd for everyone to think by default that electronic stethoscope + no handicap = tool.

I think the guitar analogy isnt really about the price per se. The more expensive guitars (or violins, or flutes) may look exactly like the cheaper ones. The details which make it a better instrument, and more expensive, may be unknown to the consumer. Still, those details make it a better instrument. I also liked the analogy because a stethoscope is a musical instrument of sorts.

Not everyone is Willie Nelson and can play an inexpensive and broken guitar, and still make it sound good. Clapton still needs his Strat, Slash still needs his Les Paul. Les Paul needed his Les Paul (RIP). Now, if you are learning to play a lick by Slash, you will never be able to get it perfect unless you are playing a Les Paul because unless you can actually play your Yamaha faster than Slash plays a Les Paul... you need the low action on the Les Paul to even come close.

Back to scopes... What makes a Welch Allyn DLX the "best" scope out there? Its the factors we all know about... double-lumen, firm diaphragm, no rims to dull the sound, etc, and factors we might not know about - brass. They dont make musical instruments out of surgical stainless steel, they can be made out of brass though. The DLX is made out of chrome plated brass. Maybe the R&D guys were on to something in the lab when testing the resonant frequency of different metals.

So, leaving aside the $10 differential in the standard Cardiology scopes... compare the $140 DLX to a $70 Litt. Classic IIse. The the details which make it more expensive specifically make it a better instrument.

Members don't see this ad :)
to digress from this very crucial "tool" discussion for a second.....

does anyone know if these stethoscopes (cardiology III or harvey elite) get discounted online (at places like allheart.com) for black friday? has this ever happened historically?

You must have the white diaphragm. Thats what mine came with (ten years ago). You can get the newer black diaphragm which is made out of hard plastic. You should change out the diaphragm once in a (long) while, because they get flimsy.

About the issue of being too short. Welch Allen has addressed this, and the new Elite and DLX are now available in 28" - an inch longer than Littmanns.

i have the black diaphragm (black with gold welch allyn logo, back is holographic)...they made one flimsier than this!?

the corrugated diaphragm isn't too bad, but i dont like using it

No, the white diaphragm wasn't paper, it was some sort of fiberglass resin. For that matter, it's not white, but rather translucent. It's what I have on my Harvey Elite and it works just fine. As to skinMD's question, from what I can tell, if there are any discounts to be had for the holiday weekend, they've already started. Besides, most places don't put Littmann scopes on sale since 3M regulates things rather tightly.

What makes a Welch Allyn DLX the "best" scope out there? ... The DLX is made out of chrome plated brass. Maybe the R&D guys were on to something in the lab when testing the resonant frequency of different metals.

Hmm...the Hewlett Packard Rappaport Sprague was made out of chrome-plated brass also. Coincidence...?

does anyone know if these stethoscopes (cardiology III or harvey elite) get discounted online (at places like allheart.com) for black friday? has this ever happened historically?

I don't think they usually get marked down much. I have been looking for sometime and just bought my Classic II today. I ended up getting it for 76.48 including shipping. I got mine from Hopkins, but allheart runs better deals just there shipping was to much for some reason for just ground.

I don't think they usually get marked down much. I have been looking for sometime and just bought my Classic II today. I ended up getting it for 76.48 including shipping. I got mine from Hopkins, but allheart runs better deals just there shipping was to much for some reason for just ground.

I've used all three of the scopes in question, of which I've owned two and would say that the Harvey Elite is by far the best, with the best acoustics and the best clarity. The Classic II SE is the worst, but not as bad as people make out. The volume is good, but doesn't produce the crisp, clear sounds the Harvey does. The Cardiology III is somewhere between them with regard to clarity.

I currently use the Classic II SE. I don't like the tunable diaphragm, but it seems to work fine with the amount of pressure I put on it. If I deliberately put more pressure on it, to go to "diaphragm mode" everything gets quiet and muffled. The bell on the back is nowhere near as good as the Harvey, probably because its so shallow and has that big rubberised rim which I'm sure doesn't help.

But I'm happy with the Classic II SE, yesterday I heard a mitral regurgitation and split S2 through it which is fine by me. Its also easy to stuff in my pocket and its cheaper so I don't worry about it if I leave it somewhere. It also seems to be pretty good at blocking out other noises, including those from my hands on the chestpiece.

Hello,

I want to buy a good stethoscope, specially it should be durable [diaphragm shd last longer] and better auscultation of heart and lung sounds & murmurs.

My friend is coming from US within next 15 days.

Suggest me which stethoscope i should buy?

And from where? physicial store or online store?

If from ebay, then please post link of ebay.com.

Thanks.

Last edited:
For someone that hasn't tried the Harvey elite, does it really matter which stethoscope you use for learning? I mean would it be better to get into the habit of flipping between the bell and diapraghm, or play with the tunable diapraghm of the Littman?

Apologizes for necroing a year old post.