Cardiology research outside the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Resident2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG, I will apply for IM residency next year. I am interested in cardiology and I do have some cardiology research experience and publications in cardiology journals in my home country. Are those of any value ? I know publications in US journals are the ones who are looked upon positively, but will my previous experience be regarded as nonsense ?

Please I want an honest opinion. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Research will be considered positively even if its not in english. If nothing else it demonstrates that you have interest and experience and it would be closed minded to think that work has to be published in English to be noteworthy. That being said the signficance / impact factor of your research will be hard to address if the abstracts are not in English.

Thanks myostatin for your response. Actually all medical education, research and publications in my country are in English. I was just asking about how the PDs look at publications in local journals outside the US. I am sure that they never heard about the journals I am talking about.