Cardiology?

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by 08' MD, Oct 27, 2002.

1. 08' MD

08' MD New Member

Hello!

I am currently going post-bach. with all my science classes, and am planning on doing AMCAS for the entering class of 2004. However, I have been reading more and more and it seems that St. George is a fairly good school, and I may be a lot more competitive to get in there than in the states. So maybe I will apply for the Jan. 2004 class there. My question is, would going to the carribean hurt my chances later on down the road, if I was to try to get into Cardiology?? That is what I have wanted to do all my life. Any advice will be appreciated. Don't ask for my MCAT, because I don't take it til' April.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Skip Intro

Skip Intro Registered User
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Cardiology is a sub-specialty off of Internal Medicine. Most cardiology fellowships are very competitive. It will likely depend, coming out of SGU or other Carib school, on getting into good University-based Internal Medicine program, and doing extremely well.

Check out this link for more info on IMGs and cardiology fellowships. According to this source, "almost half of the fellows finishing cardiology fellowships are graduates of non-U.S. medical schools." Therefore, on the surface your chances don't seem too bad if you go Caribbean. Again, it will likely depend on how you do in your IM residency.

http://www.acc.org/advocacy/advoc_issues/rcmedicare_fraker.htm

Good luck to you. Study hard and crush the MCAT. If you do well, you may not have to take this "road less traveled."

-Skip
    MS2 Ross University
    Portsmouth, Dominica

4. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree with Skip. Getting into a Cardiology fellowship will more likely be determined on your IM residency and not your medical school. However, it might be more difficult to get into a highly respected IM residency with a diploma from SGU then from Hopkins.