care to clear up the confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Poetry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was speaking to my professor about letters of recomendations and he told me that you can only submit either individual LORS or a commitee LOR. I thought that you can have one commitee LOR and a few individual LORS. What's up with that?

Members don't see this ad.

There's nothing saying that you can't submit letters to AMCAS separately from your committee letter. Schools might have weird policies like that, but you're not going to be prevented from sending individual letters in addition to a committee LOR. Your committee might allow you to attach individual letters to the committee letter (this is what I did).

At my school, I was able to submit individual letters attached to my committee letter from the school's pre-health office. So yes, you can submit both and not just one or the other.

Your school might have a rule that any LOR have to go through the committee and be appended to the committee letter. I see many schools that act as a letter saving service for students (like Interfolio) but also draw information from the letters that is then highlighted in the committee letter.