Care to Share Volunteer Abroad Experiences and/or Offer Recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sh000435

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to volunteer outside of the US. I am open to all types of animal care/veterinary care volunteering. I am really looking for a week long trip starting March 15th or 16th to coincide with my college's spring break but I am open to Summer 2015 options as well. I am interested in volunteering with World Vets. I am just waiting to see their 2015 schedule. I have had a hard time finding many other programs (lots of them look questionable). I would really love to hear about your experiences volunteering and if you have any advice or recommendations for programs!

Members don't see this ad.

I volunteered with International Student Volunteers Association in undergrad and it was awesome. It's probably not what you are looking for because it was a 2 week program and wasn't veterinary related but it was awesome and definitely helped me get into vet school. I went to Costa Rica and helped with conservation efforts in dolphins and tree frogs. My roomate went to a gibbon reserve in Thailand. It was a great experience!

Reactions: 1 user
I want to volunteer outside of the US. I am open to all types of animal care/veterinary care volunteering. I am really looking for a week long trip starting March 15th or 16th to coincide with my college's spring break but I am open to Summer 2015 options as well. I am interested in volunteering with World Vets. I am just waiting to see their 2015 schedule. I have had a hard time finding many other programs (lots of them look questionable). I would really love to hear about your experiences volunteering and if you have any advice or recommendations for programs!

I volunteered with World Vets for one of their international vet med programs for students. As a pre-vet student, you essentially work in the clinic setting as a vet assistant/tech and get trained by some of the techs/vets there... surgical prep, monitoring anesthesia, post-opp care. I don't know how much hands on experience you have.. but at the time, I was already working as a tech and felt that I may have enjoyed myself more if I attended one of the regular sessions and volunteered as an assistant... I'm guessing it would have been more fast paced and a little less training and more doing.. If you are looking to learn the basics of drawing blood, placing catheters, giving vaccines, monitoring anesthesia.. that is an awesome experience.. either way it was awesome.. and very eye opening.

Members don't see this ad :)
I volunteered with International Student Volunteers Association in undergrad and it was awesome. It's probably not what you are looking for because it was a 2 week program and wasn't veterinary related but it was awesome and definitely helped me get into vet school. I went to Costa Rica and helped with conservation efforts in dolphins and tree frogs. My roomate went to a gibbon reserve in Thailand. It was a great experience!

I also volunteered with ISV in undergrad! I went to Panama and helped with conservation of sea turtles and manatees. I second the notion that it was a great experience! Definitely something you can mention on applications, and anything else for the rest of your life :)

I volunteered with International Student Volunteers Association in undergrad and it was awesome. It's probably not what you are looking for because it was a 2 week program and wasn't veterinary related but it was awesome and definitely helped me get into vet school.

I am open to everything! As long as I am gaining experience and it looks good on applications/resumes, I will do it. Two weeks would be great during the summer. How did you apply for the program? Do you have any links?

I volunteered with World Vets for one of their international vet med programs for students. As a pre-vet student, you essentially work in the clinic setting as a vet assistant/tech and get trained by some of the techs/vets there... surgical prep, monitoring anesthesia, post-opp care. I don't know how much hands on experience you have.. but at the time, I was already working as a tech and felt that I may have enjoyed myself more if I attended one of the regular sessions and volunteered as an assistant... I'm guessing it would have been more fast paced and a little less training and more doing.. If you are looking to learn the basics of drawing blood, placing catheters, giving vaccines, monitoring anesthesia.. that is an awesome experience.. either way it was awesome.. and very eye opening.

That is awesome. I don't have any clinical experience so that would be really awesome. Where did you volunteer? They still have pre-vet openings for a project in the Dominican Republic in December which I am considering.

Really wish they would allow more than 3 prevet students for that winter session... ):

This is the website for ISV! I found out about them because representatives came around at my school during classes and held info sessions, but you can learn about all the programs and locations and apply online

http://www.isvolunteers.org/

That is awesome. I don't have any clinical experience so that would be really awesome. Where did you volunteer? They still have pre-vet openings for a project in the Dominican Republic in December which I am considering.

I did the IVM program which are all in Nicaragua I think.. they have a training center there where they train Latin American veterinarians and that is where they hold the program. The IVM program is all students (pre-vet, tech students, vet students) so it is aimed toward training people how to do stuff.. It is my impression that the other programs are more fast paced spay-neuter programs and they don't have as many people.. in the IVM programs.. there were tons of people and they hold multiple sessions throughout the summer and I think during the time when most students have winter breaks.

I did the IVM program which are all in Nicaragua I think.. they have a training center there where they train Latin American veterinarians and that is where they hold the program. The IVM program is all students (pre-vet, tech students, vet students) so it is aimed toward training people how to do stuff.. It is my impression that the other programs are more fast paced spay-neuter programs and they don't have as many people.. in the IVM programs.. there were tons of people and they hold multiple sessions throughout the summer and I think during the time when most students have winter breaks.
Ah... Okay. I might hold out until another IVM program opens up then. Thanks for clearing that up!

I did a program in South Africa through African Conservation Experience. It was kinda pricey but I absolutely loved every second of it. I got to work hands-on with a ton of rhinos, an elephant, several cape buffalo, and lions (as well as non-Big 5 animals). Hands down the coolest thing I've ever done.

I did VIDA in Costa Rica. It was a cool experience but I think they are teaching you shabby medicine and terrible practices. I had a lot of ethical concerns and would not do it again. On the plus side you get to actually do surgery under the direct supervision of a vet. On the downside, that is pretty shady.

I volunteered in Thailand for 2 weeks with Loop Abroad. I highly recommend it! Its a bit pricey but I really wanted something that stood out on my vet school application I figured everyone did volunteering at home, but Im hoping that the admissions committee will take a second look at my application because I travelled. I had the best time of my life when I was there. wasnt just a nameless student like what ive heard about other tour companies. But they even have their own vets who are literally just there to teach the students. We all got a check list of skills we had to master like drawing blood, iv catheters, injections, microscope work, assisting with surgery and anaesthesia. The vets even offered to give us letters of recommendation for vet school or even to attach to our resume to apply for volunteer positions at clinics in the states. If possible try to travel with friends because you never know who will be in your group ( I didnt click with one person in my group). But Im going to look into their semester programs since ive heard I could even get credit for it. Seriously check it out! It was an experience ill never forget.