Career advice: what do you think of this position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CD15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a fellow who will be graduating this year. I have a potential academic job opportunity at my dream institution, however, it will be a bad deal for 3 years.

The usual positions are 4-16 weeks inpatient and 4 half days clinic per week.

The position I am getting is 24 weeks of inpatient only. This will be similar to a hospitalist job, 1 month on, 1 month off. around 20 sick patients, but with 3-4 APP support, pharmacists on the team. I can do half day of clinic if I want. This will be for 3 years, and then the can switch me to a regular position of 8-10 weeks inpatient and 4 half day clinics.

It will be an assistant professor position, unlike instructor positions which a lot of places do. Salary would be around the national median for such positions. The pay is not that much of a priority for me.

I have always dreamed of working in this specific disease focused department because this is one of the, if not the, leading department in the world in my field. Also, this department is very saturated, and I do not know if a regular position will open up in this department any time soon.

I am feeling tempted to take this offer. I would appreciate any advice from colleagues, senior and junior, regarding what your perspectives are, and if you think this is a stupid decision.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am a fellow who will be graduating this year. I have a potential academic job opportunity at my dream institution, however, it will be a bad deal for 3 years.

The position I am getting is 24 weeks of inpatient only. This will be similar to a hospitalist job, 1 month on, 1 month off. around 20 sick patients, but with 3-4 APP support, pharmacists on the team. I can do half day of clinic if I want. This will be for 3 years, and then the can switch me to a regular position of 8-10 weeks inpatient and 4 half day clinics.

It will be an assistant professor position, unlike instructor positions which a lot of places do. Salary would be around the national median for such positions. The pay is not that much of a priority for me.

I have always dreamed of working in this specific disease focused department because this is one of the, if not the, leading department in the world in my field. Also, this department is very saturated, and I do not know if a regular position will open up in this department any time soon.

I am feeling tempted to take this offer. I would appreciate any advice from colleagues, senior and junior, regarding what your perspectives are, and if you think this is a stupid decision.

Thank you
A month on at a time, for 3 years? Do they hate you?

Thank you

I have a couple questions;

1) why 1 month on and 1 month off? I have some friends who have been offered true academic disease x (usually leukemia Or lymphoma) hospitalist in which you’d have the academic role (assistant professor) the salary for that level and some semblance of protected time without any outpatient time

2) is anything actually guaranteed after the 3 years?

3) do you have other job offers?

given it’s your dream institution with comparable pay (ie they’re not screwing your with an instructor role) in a disease you want I’d lean towards accepting it but the answers to the above questions would be important