Other OT-Related Information Career Change in OT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teacher84

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have been a special education teacher for six years and am looking to change into Occupational Therapy. I am finishing up my pre-requisites now and getting ready to apply for Fall 2016. I am nervous because I have had a salary job for six years and going back to school full-time as a 31 year-old. I only support myself so is there anyone else in my position who is making this change or has made it? If you have made this change, were you able to still work part time at least? I appreciate any feedback! Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak to working part-time because I haven't started my program yet. But I made the change (at 36) from being a Montessori teacher for six years, and I got into my first choice school. I imagine your special education background will be a big plus on your application. Good luck!

Well I have heard of people applying to part time OT program or weekend only program. I would recommend looking into those. I have been told the OT school will consume your life and very few recommend working on the side.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to be 39 and I am starting the OT program in the Fall. I was working full time but have taken the last year to finish my prerequisites while being a full-time stay at home Dad. Obviously I have a very supportive wife who has taken on the role of sole provider of our family while I am in school. I am very lucky in that regard.

In terms of part-time work, it really depends on the program that you go into. There are hybrid programs that allow you to still work while attending class on weekends or those that are a mix of online/classroom based format. I am not very familiar with those so I can't provide much insight on them.

If you are planning to go full time (which is what I will be doing), then I've been advised to take the first semester to get acclimated to the workload without taking on any outside type of work. By the second semester, you may be able to take 8-10 hours a week of part time work if you find that you are able to balance everything. Usually students work at positions at their school for convenience.

OT school is demanding but if you are good at time management and have the ability to take on school and work then that's great. It may be a good idea though to see how you can balance school and "life" first before committing to a part time job. That is just my 2 cents.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, I m not going to lie but reading these posts sort of made me feel somewhat relieved.. I basically took a detour with my life to say the very least. I am 22 and all my life I wanted to do pharmacy. I applied to the programs twice and didn't get in. So I decided I would give OT a shot and after shadowing and observing an OT in various locations, turns out I love it. At first I was super bummed and depressed I didn't get into pharmacy school, but I don't know, maybe it was for the best. I felt like I i'm going to be in school forever haha but I guess you all can tell me I am silly for thinking that. I'm really nervous though, because my GPA really suffered as I was trying to get into pharmacy school and take all those science courses. Any suggestions on how to impress OT admissions counselors. I am trying to get as much observation hours and volunteer hours this semester but still my GPA is quite low. I am applying to a variety of programs for this fall and next january. I have not taken the GRE yet, but I plan to do so in April. Any and all suggestions would be SO helpful! Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have looked into weekend programs, but honestly, teaching requires so much planning on the weekend, so I couldn't even imagine how things would be if I did both. I am sure I can waitress/bartend once I become more comfortable with the program. I am still trying to figure out where to apply. I have about 6 schools in mind and I'm closely aligning their pre-requisites to make sure it all matches. How many schools are you guys applying to?

Hello, I am starting my MOT this year at 26 after being active duty military for seven years and self-supporting since 18. It was a slow process transitioning out of the military and doing my prereqs, intern hours, etc while continuing to work full time but it has paid off. I highly suggest that if you've done your research and thought it through, that you should definitely pursue OT as a new career field. There is nothing wrong with switching over. I do not plan on working during school, and will be living off of GI bill stipend supplemented with private loans to pay for my costs of living.

Hello, I am starting my MOT this year at 26 after being active duty military for seven years and self-supporting since 18. It was a slow process transitioning out of the military and doing my prereqs, intern hours, etc while continuing to work full time but it has paid off. I highly suggest that if you've done your research and thought it through, that you should definitely pursue OT as a new career field. There is nothing wrong with switching over. I do not plan on working during school, and will be living off of GI bill stipend supplemented with private loans to pay for my costs of living.

Thanks for your input! I think my only real reason for being hesitant about the career change is self-supporting. I do not have anyone to help me out, which is fine, but it definitely has made me go back and forth about the change. I do not have much in savings and I would probably have to live off loans. School is NOT cheap, but I am thinking of looking for a roommate to cut expenses rather than living alone in the city and hope that I can make ends meet. When there is a will there is a way I suppose. By the way, are you starting your program in the fall? And thank you for serving! :)

It is scary and every situation is different. Like you said if you want it then you will figure a way out to make it work :) and my program starts in May, my school actually starts three times a year so I got in on the summer cycle. Thank you and best of luck!

@Teacher84, I am also a teacher and this will be a career change for me as well (if I ever get accepted). Look into getting on your school district's substitute teacher list. I'm sure your current school would give you lots of work. I thought subbing would be horrible after being a normal classroom teacher, but it can be fun, and NO PLANNING!! My school district offers full days or half days as a sub, so you make around $120 a day for a full day, or half that for half a day. Check it out!

Hi everyone! I have been a special education teacher for six years and am looking to change into Occupational Therapy. I am finishing up my pre-requisites now and getting ready to apply for Fall 2016. I am nervous because I have had a salary job for six years and going back to school full-time as a 31 year-old. I only support myself so is there anyone else in my position who is making this change or has made it? If you have made this change, were you able to still work part time at least? I appreciate any feedback! Thanks so much!

Teacher84, I am a current OT student and was also a special education teacher before making the switch! I started school last summer at 28. I go to a full-time program and am also self-sufficient. I admit that it's a struggle, but it can be done! I am able to work part-time, although the majority of my ability to live is paid for by student loans. I'm lucky that I am at an in-state school, so that helps a bit. A lot of people advice against working part-time. Here's how I look at it: I worked full-time and took my pre-reqs before entering OT school. Was it hard? Of course! However, that's what I had to do to apply. When it comes down to it, you do what you have to to feel good about your decisions. I don't necessarily make much working part-time, but for me, I know I would constantly be worried about my finances if I didn't earn at least a little money to supplement my loans. It can definitely be frustrating, making the transition from earning money to going in debt. I think about it more than I should really. But it IS worth it. The nice thing about OT is that you WILL find a job, and most of them pay more than teacher salaries. ;) Good luck in the application process! Always nice to see a fellow teacher turned OT!

Teacher84, I am a current OT student and was also a special education teacher before making the switch! I started school last summer at 28. I go to a full-time program and am also self-sufficient. I admit that it's a struggle, but it can be done! I am able to work part-time, although the majority of my ability to live is paid for by student loans. I'm lucky that I am at an in-state school, so that helps a bit. A lot of people advice against working part-time. Here's how I look at it: I worked full-time and took my pre-reqs before entering OT school. Was it hard? Of course! However, that's what I had to do to apply. When it comes down to it, you do what you have to to feel good about your decisions. I don't necessarily make much working part-time, but for me, I know I would constantly be worried about my finances if I didn't earn at least a little money to supplement my loans. It can definitely be frustrating, making the transition from earning money to going in debt. I think about it more than I should really. But it IS worth it. The nice thing about OT is that you WILL find a job, and most of them pay more than teacher salaries. ;) Good luck in the application process! Always nice to see a fellow teacher turned OT!

Thank you so much for your insight! I truly appreciate it. I have been so nervous about the whole transition, but feel that it is worth it. I am taking pre-reqs now, working full time, and teaching an after school program until 5 each day.....right now I feel like I am running on fumes, but it can be done if you want it bad enough! I am applying to about 12 schools. The only other thing is my GRE's. I am taking them in September, so I really need to study this summer. What state do you live in? I am applying in the area that I live now, but many are not public schools unfortunately. My parents live in NC and I had thought about moving there for two years and claiming residency to apply to Chapel Hill and live with them in the meantime. I met with admissions there over winter break and they are really wonderful people! I loved the campus. Do you think you are going to go into a school-based setting? I am so glad I found another fellow teacher! I have to say, I haven;t found many that have switched from teaching into OT, so this is great! How is your program so far? Do you love it?

Thank you so much for your insight! I truly appreciate it. I have been so nervous about the whole transition, but feel that it is worth it. I am taking pre-reqs now, working full time, and teaching an after school program until 5 each day.....right now I feel like I am running on fumes, but it can be done if you want it bad enough! I am applying to about 12 schools. The only other thing is my GRE's. I am taking them in September, so I really need to study this summer. What state do you live in? I am applying in the area that I live now, but many are not public schools unfortunately. My parents live in NC and I had thought about moving there for two years and claiming residency to apply to Chapel Hill and live with them in the meantime. I met with admissions there over winter break and they are really wonderful people! I loved the campus. Do you think you are going to go into a school-based setting? I am so glad I found another fellow teacher! I have to say, I haven;t found many that have switched from teaching into OT, so this is great! How is your program so far? Do you love it?

Hi Teacher84, based on how well you are able to juggle everything now, I definitely think you'll be successful in OT school! I am in VA and go to VCU. I really like the program and am lucky that there was a well-ranked school in my state to apply to. Several of the students in my cohort also applied to Chapel Hill and really loved it so that is a great choice if that's what you decide to do. I definitely don't think I will go into school-based OT for several reasons, the big ones being salary and bureaucracy. I also think I want a change of scenery. I may still stick with pediatrics but in a hospital setting. I'm not too sure yet. Luckily, with OT, you can change the population you work with which is awesome for a person like me who gets bored easily! Definitely don't worry too much about the GRE. From my understanding, poor scores don't necessarily hurt you as much as high scores help you. I studied for a summer using a Kaplan book and it turned out fine. Good luck in the application process! There are a couple of other former teachers in my cohort, as well as some former teacher's aides, so you will be in good company once you enroll in a program!

Hi Teacher84, based on how well you are able to juggle everything now, I definitely think you'll be successful in OT school! I am in VA and go to VCU. I really like the program and am lucky that there was a well-ranked school in my state to apply to. Several of the students in my cohort also applied to Chapel Hill and really loved it so that is a great choice if that's what you decide to do. I definitely don't think I will go into school-based OT for several reasons, the big ones being salary and bureaucracy. I also think I want a change of scenery. I may still stick with pediatrics but in a hospital setting. I'm not too sure yet. Luckily, with OT, you can change the population you work with which is awesome for a person like me who gets bored easily! Definitely don't worry too much about the GRE. From my understanding, poor scores don't necessarily hurt you as much as high scores help you. I studied for a summer using a Kaplan book and it turned out fine. Good luck in the application process! There are a couple of other former teachers in my cohort, as well as some former teacher's aides, so you will be in good company once you enroll in a program!

That is great! I heard good things about VCU's program! You are definitely lucky for sure! I hear you on the school-based OT setting. I do not want to be in that setting either. Maybe because I have been in the setting now for seven years, I just need a change, like you said. Thank you so much for the advice...I was stressing about the GRE, but admissions at Chapel Hill had mentioned the same thing. Some have mentioned how background experience is almost most important when it comes to the application process, so we will see! Keep me posted on how school is going! Best of luck to you!

Teacher 84, I was a teacher for 5 years and a stay at home mom for 3 years before I started ECU's OT program this past fall at 29 years old. About a third of my class is made up of late 20 somethings/early 30 somethings who are switching careers and a lot of them have found a way to work. A few of my classmates have grad assistantships that allow them to work at the College of Allied Health Sciences and get school work done, and a few of them work for places like the Autism Society. It's doable! Also, I read that you're considering UNC. That program is great, but it's also very competitive. They only have 22 spots and over 250 people applied in 2013. I'm not trying to discourage you from applying, but since you have connections in NC, I'd encourage you to look into ECU's program. I'll be the first to admit that ECU, as a whole, does not have the best reputation. I went to NC State for undergrad and we called it "easy U". On top of that, the campus and Greenville do not even compare to Chapel Hill. I chose to commute rather than move to Greenville. BUT their grad programs in the College of Allied Health Sciences have a fantastic reputation in NC. So much so, that I've had a private peds practice owner tell me that she loves ECU OT grads because they're more prepared to practice. ECU is also cheap! UNC's OT program is part of their med school which makes it significantly more expensive than ECU. Since cost seems to be a concern for you, I figured you might find that interesting and maybe worth looking into. No matter what school you go to, your teaching experience is going to be huge asset when you become an OT! I hope the application process goes smoothly for you!

Teacher 84, I was a teacher for 5 years and a stay at home mom for 3 years before I started ECU's OT program this past fall at 29 years old. About a third of my class is made up of late 20 somethings/early 30 somethings who are switching careers and a lot of them have found a way to work. A few of my classmates have grad assistantships that allow them to work at the College of Allied Health Sciences and get school work done, and a few of them work for places like the Autism Society. It's doable! Also, I read that you're considering UNC. That program is great, but it's also very competitive. They only have 22 spots and over 250 people applied in 2013. I'm not trying to discourage you from applying, but since you have connections in NC, I'd encourage you to look into ECU's program. I'll be the first to admit that ECU, as a whole, does not have the best reputation. I went to NC State for undergrad and we called it "easy U". On top of that, the campus and Greenville do not even compare to Chapel Hill. I chose to commute rather than move to Greenville. BUT their grad programs in the College of Allied Health Sciences have a fantastic reputation in NC. So much so, that I've had a private peds practice owner tell me that she loves ECU OT grads because they're more prepared to practice. ECU is also cheap! UNC's OT program is part of their med school which makes it significantly more expensive than ECU. Since cost seems to be a concern for you, I figured you might find that interesting and maybe worth looking into. No matter what school you go to, your teaching experience is going to be huge asset when you become an OT! I hope the application process goes smoothly for you!

Hi ncOT9! Thanks for your insight! I really appreciate it. I will definitely check out ECU's program. I am hopeful that I will be able to save money next year while teaching so I have some cushion room when I go to school. I am starting to stress out about the application process more and more because where I live, (NJ PA area) there are alot of great programs in Philly (where I live), but they are SO expensive too. I know OT is such a competitive field, and while I believe I have the credentials, I still stress so much about taking the GRE! Is ECU's program a two year program also? Are you staying in school based OT? When I visited Chapel Hill, the woman who I spoke to mentioned how there were quite a few career changers in the program which made me feel better. For some reason, I guess if I move down south I will feel more comfortable knowing that my family is around (since they are all there). When you applied for OT school, how many schools did you get in to? Thanks again!! :)

Hi ncOT9! Thanks for your insight! I really appreciate it. I will definitely check out ECU's program. I am hopeful that I will be able to save money next year while teaching so I have some cushion room when I go to school. I am starting to stress out about the application process more and more because where I live, (NJ PA area) there are alot of great programs in Philly (where I live), but they are SO expensive too. I know OT is such a competitive field, and while I believe I have the credentials, I still stress so much about taking the GRE! Is ECU's program a two year program also? Are you staying in school based OT? When I visited Chapel Hill, the woman who I spoke to mentioned how there were quite a few career changers in the program which made me feel better. For some reason, I guess if I move down south I will feel more comfortable knowing that my family is around (since they are all there). When you applied for OT school, how many schools did you get in to? Thanks again!! :)

Yes! I've read about how expensive programs in PA are and it's scary to think about that much debt! ECU's tuition is about $18,000 and Greenville is a pretty cheep place to live. Have you taken a practice GRE? I took a free online version. It was really helpful and let me know where I stood and what I needed to work on. ECU's program is 2 years and 3 months. I was pretty bummed about that at first, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal. I'm really not sure what kind of setting I'd like to work in yet, but I'm not completely opposed to school-based practice. Because I have children, I'll probably have to choose where I work based on what's best for my family....at least while my children are in school....and that might end up being a school system. I applied to 4 schools and got into 2 (full disclosure: UNC totally rejected me). Honestly, I'm lucky to have even gotten into even one school on my first try. My GPA was not that great since I thought I'd be a teacher for the rest of my life when I was in college (ha!) and I crammed almost all of my outstanding prereqs in right before applications were due. I only had 7 months between the time I decided to go to OT school and application deadlines to get everything done. It was a whirlwind. I really think it was my experience and GRE score that opened the door for me. Where does your family live in NC?

Yea it definitely is scary to think about the debt that is included with OT, but I think it is almost unavoidable at this point. haha. That is definitely inexpensive, but for in-state residents right? I would have to move to NC this summer and get a job there for a year before applying for the following fall...which has been a thought. My parents live in Charlotte. I have family all over NC though, nothing close to Greenville though. It stinks that there are no schools in Charlotte that offer OT! Working in school based OT would seem like the perfect fit for you and your family! Getting into two schools on your first try is great though! I know how competitive it is, so that is something to definitely be proud of! I think I want to work in inpatient rehab, but not entirely sure yet. I truly would love to work with Veterans coming home from war, but it is all too early to tell. WOW 7 months?! That is insane...I am having a hard time cramming it in within a a year lol. Right now I am writing an IEP and studying the skeletal system while I review GRE vocabulary on top of it......ahh, I am learning what multi-tasking truly means. I couldn't even imagine doing that with kids.....! I am going to Charlotte for Easter and CANNOT wait...love the south. Very different from Philly- which I love too, but the way of life is so different there! :wideyed:

Do you have class everyday from 9-5ish? Or do your days vary? When you think about it, two years is not too too bad.....and I am sure it goes so fast!

Yea it definitely is scary to think about the debt that is included with OT, but I think it is almost unavoidable at this point. haha. That is definitely inexpensive, but for in-state residents right? I would have to move to NC this summer and get a job there for a year before applying for the following fall...which has been a thought. My parents live in Charlotte. I have family all over NC though, nothing close to Greenville though. It stinks that there are no schools in Charlotte that offer OT! Working in school based OT would seem like the perfect fit for you and your family! Getting into two schools on your first try is great though! I know how competitive it is, so that is something to definitely be proud of! I think I want to work in inpatient rehab, but not entirely sure yet. I truly would love to work with Veterans coming home from war, but it is all too early to tell. WOW 7 months?! That is insane...I am having a hard time cramming it in within a a year lol. Right now I am writing an IEP and studying the skeletal system while I review GRE vocabulary on top of it......ahh, I am learning what multi-tasking truly means. I couldn't even imagine doing that with kids.....! I am going to Charlotte for Easter and CANNOT wait...love the south. Very different from Philly- which I love too, but the way of life is so different there! :wideyed:

Do you have class everyday from 9-5ish? Or do your days vary? When you think about it, two years is not too too bad.....and I am sure it goes so fast!

Wow! You're busy! You may find OT school relatively easy after all of your multitasking! It will probably be nice to focus on one thing. Classes are usually M-Th and there are usually 2 full-ish days (8-3) and 2 half days (9-12). That's about what my schedule looked like last semester and it's pretty much the same this semester. If I remember correctly, UNC's schedule is similar.

I cannot wait until I have one focus. I am all over the place right now. How many hours of observations did you do? M-Th classes would be wonderful. I I am really excited about this change and can't wait until all of this prepping begins to pay off....!