PhD/PsyD Career Change- Non-Clinical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InYourHead

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been working as a Neuropsychologist in clinical setting for past 6 years, but getting burnt out. Interested in making a change, and wondering what non-clinical career options are out there? Looking at things like insurance peer reviewer, but not sure where else to look. I appreciate any thoughts/suggestions. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I had thoughts of going to law school and getting the JD as well. Then I thought of how many people complete law school and choose to avoid practicing law. Could end up right back in the same place but a different forum!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Been working as a Neuropsychologist in clinical setting for past 6 years, but getting burnt out. Interested in making a change, and wondering what non-clinical career options are out there? Looking at things like insurance peer reviewer, but not sure where else to look. I appreciate any thoughts/suggestions. Thank you!
So maybe you don't put it like that when you apply for this kind of job, but yea, it's a possibility.

We have a team of about a dozen or so Psychologist Reviewers here. CIGNA has a handful and Anthem (now partnered with Beacon) has some. United Behavioral Health/OPTUM has a dozen or so too. But in the grand scheme of things, there just aren't many of these jobs to go around. Probably less than 60 in the whole country. Full-time anyways. The full-time reviewer positions DO pay in the mid 6 figures, though. And many (most?) are full-time remote/WFH. There is usually a clause that you maintain some level of actual clinical practice. Albeit that is usually accounted for within the 40 hour work week. 32 hours to the company... and 8-10 with your own gig/thing/practice.

I moved into a regional leadership role here after 4 years in the VA and 2 in academia before that. While I do have some responsibility for managing escalated provider grievances and specific case appeals, I agree that a job as a primary case reviewer is not what I would want at this point in my career. That said, I do not agree that a job as a reviewer is "demoralizing"... as I think it it can be great way to shape ones career in macro management of the healthcare system and influence/shape best-practices for our frontline providers. Many of whom are Masters level. If you do it right, that is! Much like VA C&P, the doubt is always in favor of approval for the member/patient.

You certainly could do some contract reviewer stuff but I wouldn't really recommend it, and the managed care industry has largely moved away from utilizing external, 1099 reviewers within the past few years. Mostly due to quality control problems, market unfamiliarity, politics, and issues/objections from NCQA. There is also a move for just doing pass-though filters, targeted UM, and/or population health management for many outpatient services across much of the industry at this time.

There are indeed other potential positions available to those trained, formally, as psychologists in the managed care industry. But most will need to see either a heavy track-record of research and/or quant capability/competency and/or behavioral health leadership of a fairly large organization already.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Insurance peer review is somewhat demoralizing and pays very poorly on an hourly basis in some areas. IMEs/legal work can be fun if you have the personality for it.
What kind of personality characteristics are you referring to? I don't know much about this area.

What kind of personality characteristics are you referring to? I don't know much about this area.
I think he just meant this is a practice area where we are tasked to answer very specific medico-legal questions and/or nexus using the available evidence and our clinical examination and experience. If you are the kind of person who wants to treat every problem/symptom you see in a patient, it may not be a good fit? It is not an established treating relationship, in other words. And once you are done, you are done.

Last edited:

Like how well you do with confrontation. How will you respond to an attorney who is trying to get under your skin, and is generally good at doing just that with others? How comfortable are you in absolutely ripping apart the work of some of your colleagues in the community? Many of the people I know who do this work well love to debate/argue, and they are generally good at keeping cool in very confrontational settings.

Like how well you do with confrontation. How will you respond to an attorney who is trying to get under your skin, and is generally good at doing just that with others? How comfortable are you in absolutely ripping apart the work of some of your colleagues in the community? Many of the people I know who do this work well love to debate/argue, and they are generally good at keeping cool in very confrontational settings.
So what you're saying is this would be a terrible fit for me. :lol:

Last edited:
So what you're saying is this would be terrible fit for me. :lol:
See, I had the complete opposite response of "that sounds like fun, I need more of these socially acceptable adrenaline-inducing experiences in my life!" :lol: