Career Change/Reapplying with Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

julypotter

Reaction score
I was hoping to get some honest advice. Basically, I changed career paths from law to medicine. I had actually gotten to the point of accepting admission in law school before I realized that the career just was not for me. My law school enrollment shows up on my undergraduate transcript because the law school was the law school of my undergraduate alma mater, but I never actually started.

Fast forward, and I am now lucky enough to have an acceptance at an in state, private osteopathic school. However, due to my poor judgment, I am now having second thoughts about attending said school due to its huge tuition and it being a relatively new and unestablished program. I understand that this is a consideration I should have made prior to interviewing, and I definitely regret it. In the mean time, I have concurrently applied to a masters post bacc program, and have been accepted there as well.

My dilemma is this: would it be crazy for me to choose to do the masters and reapply to public in-state schools this cycle, knowing my past history of acceptance/career change? Would I have any chance of acceptance? Obviously, I would disclose my medical school acceptance on my application if I were to reapply, and I have spoken about considering law school previously in interviews and secondary applications. Should I just take my acceptance and run with it?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I was hoping to get some honest advice. Basically, I changed career paths from law to medicine. I had actually gotten to the point of accepting admission in law school before I realized that the career just was not for me. My law school enrollment shows up on my undergraduate transcript because the law school was the law school of my undergraduate alma mater, but I never actually started.

Fast forward, and I am now lucky enough to have an acceptance at an in state, private osteopathic school. However, due to my poor judgment, I am now having second thoughts about attending said school due to its huge tuition and it being a relatively new and unestablished program. I understand that this is a consideration I should have made prior to interviewing, and I definitely regret it. In the mean time, I have concurrently applied to a masters post bacc program, and have been accepted there as well.

My dilemma is this: would it be crazy for me to choose to do the masters and reapply to public in-state schools this cycle, knowing my past history of acceptance/career change? Would I have any chance of acceptance? Obviously, I would disclose my medical school acceptance on my application if I were to reapply, and I have spoken about considering law school previously in interviews and secondary applications. Should I just take my acceptance and run with it?

Thanks in advance
I suggest that you drop the accept.

Unless the school is WCU, Nove, Touro-NY, LMU or LUCOM. Then I approve of the withdrawal.

I suggest that you drop the accept.

Unless the school is WCU, Nove, Touro-NY, LMU or LUCOM. Then I approve of the withdrawal.
From OPs post history, TCOM masters vs UIW

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks in advance

Go to UIW. The opportunity cost of delaying enrollment by a year is most likely more expensive than the difference between private and public tuition, especially since there's no guarantee you'd excel in the SMP.

UIW has decent facilities, P/F grading, and a progressive curriculum that has proven to be effective at several MD schools. Also, its dean used to be the dean at PNWU. While it's new, it seems like a solid option.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Spoiler alert: medical school is expensive

Reactions: 2 users

Thanks in advance

Option 1: take the acceptance which guarantees you have the opportunity to become a doctor. In 4 years you'll be a resident, and then attending.

Option 2: relinquish your acceptance, burn that bridge, spend money on a post bacc in HOPES for another chance to possibly become a doctor. Delay becoming a doctor by 1 year minimum if all goes to plan, and thus delay a $200k+ paycheck which would most likely make up for the difference in school cost when you also factor in the extra year being paid for and the extra year of interest being factored in.

Just my .02.

Reactions: 1 users