Career Change to Clinical Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pant suits are quite common, as are blouses and various similar setups. Common sense options seem to work just fine, but avoid the common undergrad look of leggings, tshirt, and a dazed look. :laugh:

So wait, I should, or shouldn't take the staples out of my eyebrows?? :laugh:

Thanks T4C & paramour--probably sounds like common sense (no makeup, flats, pants are okay) but I think the aesthetic in my current field and yours are a little different--hard to calibrate, especially as someone older who doesn't want to appear, well, weirder than I actually am. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

So wait, I should, or shouldn't take the staples out of my eyebrows?? :laugh:

Thanks T4C & paramour--probably sounds like common sense (no makeup, flats, pants are okay) but I think the aesthetic in my current field and yours are a little different--hard to calibrate, especially as someone older who doesn't want to appear, well, weirder than I actually am. ;)

Just show up in jeans and say the airline lost your luggage. It happens every year. :smuggrin:

Just show up in jeans and say the airline lost your luggage. It happens every year. :smuggrin:

This is why I always fly in business clothes if I have any business at my final destination. My first corp. mentor taught me this, and sure enough...it happened once. You also seem to get hassled less by the TSA if you look halfway presentable, go figure.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is why I always fly in business clothes if I have any business at my final destination. My first corp. mentor taught me this, and sure enough...it happened once. You also seem to get hassled less by the TSA if you look halfway presentable, go figure.

We've had candidates for faculty positions who interviewed in jeans or corduroys b/c their luggage was lost as well. Students initially weren't aware of the situation in one case and thought the guy was simply being cocky because he was from an ivy (granted, he is a cocky SOB). :laugh:

I always brought a carry-on for interviews, haha.

We've had candidates for faculty positions who interviewed in jeans or corduroys

Corduroys? I didn't know people still wore those. Were they interviewing for the Welcome Back Kotter Endowed Professorship? Hopefully they didn't leave their mutton chops in the checked bags too!
:smuggrin:

Aww, I wear cords. They're warmer in our cold, horrible winters.

How tolerant do you think psych faculty in major metro centers are of a spectrum of gender expression?

I would think it would depend to some extent on the specific area. You only mention metro areas, but some smaller college towns/cities actually can be an oasis of free thought regarding gender expression (e.g. Madison; Ann Arbor; My beloved Northampton/Amherst MA area). I would really think that any one who would not accept you because of your level of gender identity would not be someone you'd work well with anyways (though, in deference to Ollie, I admit that this is only speculation on my part and I am not aware of the research in this area;)).

I would think it would depend to some extent on the specific area. You only mention metro areas, but some smaller college towns/cities actually can be an oasis of free thought regarding gender expression (e.g. Madison; Ann Arbor; My beloved Northampton/Amherst MA area). I would really think that any one who would not accept you because of your level of gender identity would not be someone you'd work well with anyways (though, in deference to Ollie, I admit that this is only speculation on my part and I am not aware of the research in this area;)).

Thanks ABA!

Oops. Sorry, Cara, maybe I'm not lookin' in the right places, but I haven't seen cords down here in a while. I'm sure yours are lovely and warm.

Oops. Sorry, Cara, maybe I'm not lookin' in the right places, but I haven't seen cords down here in a while. I'm sure yours are lovely and warm.

Well, speaking from experience, those southern Californians sure do like to think that they can relate to everyone else's seasons!! But, no, it really doesn't get 'cold' or 'rain' down there, relative to places in the north and east. So it doesn't surprise me that you don't see cords down there. It's not necessary and it's not a fashion statement. After all, people in cold climates don't wear Uggs in the dead of winter and we don't all have fancy rain boots and raincoats. :laugh:

And we don't wear crampons, like one of my cohort-mates from So-Cal did during her first icy day up here in Massachusetts.

:laugh:

Make sure you tell her that rain (or even 2 feet of snow) is no excuse for being late for anything. It's not her fault, that's just how it is down there. ;)