Career Change - What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vscutti5047

Reaction score
Hi folks - first post here. I am currently employed as a chemical engineer with a big name company but am slowly realizing my dream of working in medicine is not going away any time soon... I've decided that now is the time to change course and just go for it. But I need some help understanding if I even have a chance, I would rather not waste my time if this dream is too lofty.

I graduated from a Big 10 school with a degree in Chem E in 2018 with a low GPA (cum 3.28, science 3.19) for med school. I plan to take two biology classes from a CC within the next year, but my GPA won't really budge even with those.

What are the chances of getting admission to DO schools with an undergrad GPA that low? Will I need an astronomically high MCAT score to make up for it? Or will I automatically be filtered out of most schools?

I'm really wishing I could go back to undergrad and choose a completely different major :/

Thanks for the help! Just trying to weigh all of my options and get a good grasp on where I stand as a candidate.

Members don't see this ad.

You need a MCAT score of 500 to receive interviews at some DO schools with your GPAs.

I'm also considering a masters program to help supplement, I guess I'll just apply broadly and see. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Will your Masters be a SMP ?
I believe so, I'm specifically looking at PCOM's MS in Biomedical Sciences. I think it's a way to enhance my Chem E degree on its own and then potentially offer a good path into DO school.