Career Changer - cGPA: 3.1 Post-Bac GPA: 3.57

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jho76

Reaction score
Hi, everyone.

cGPA: 3.17
Current post-bac GPA: 3.57

Background:
  • Major: BA in Human Development
  • Graduated in 2016
  • Work:
    • Life Skills Coach for Adults with Developmental Disabilities (2015-2018)
    • Physical Therapy Aide (2018-Current)
      • Home Health Setting
      • Outpatient Setting
Prerequisites need to complete:
  • Physics II
  • Organic Chemistry I and II
  • Biochemistry
  • MCAT

During my time working, I've always knew that I needed to go back to school and work on a DIY post-bac. While working and going to night classes, I've been able to raise my GPA to a 3.57. After finsihing my classes and taking the MCAT, I am planning to enroll into a special master's program in medical sciences to help boost up my application.I would like to get your input if it's still probable for me to get into medical school. Any input would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

As long as your MCAT is 500 or higher you could receive interviews at DO schools. Above 507 and you could receive MD interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, everyone.

Background:
  • Graduated in 2016
  • Work:
      • Home Health Setting
      • Outpatient Setting
  • Physics II
  • Biochemistry
  • MCAT

During my time working, I've always knew that I needed to go back to school and work on a DIY post-bac. While working and going to night classes, I've been able to raise my GPA to a 3.57. After finsihing my classes and taking the MCAT, I am planning to enroll into a special master's program in medical sciences to help boost up my application.I would like to get your input if it's still probable for me to get into medical school. Any input would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you!
Do you mean that you've been able to get your cumulative GPA up to a 3.57? Or that your post-bac GPA itself is 3.57?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, everyone.

Background:
  • Graduated in 2016
  • Work:
      • Home Health Setting
      • Outpatient Setting
  • Physics II
  • Biochemistry
  • MCAT

Thank you!
Postbac GPA is weak for MD, but fine for DO

Do you mean that you've been able to get your cumulative GPA up to a 3.57? Or that your post-bac GPA itself is 3.57?

I was able to get my GPA up to a 3.57. However, it's not my final post-bacc GPA since there are still prerequisites left.

As long as your MCAT is 500 or higher you could receive interviews at DO schools. Above 507 and you could receive MD interviews.

Thank you for your feedback. I've just recently purchased a set of MCAT material to get an overview. I believe it's better to get a head start in studying for the exam.

If you're trying to step up from postbac to SMP, the current postbac GPA looks fine. I'd also check in with admissions recruiters anyway because there may be some DO schools you could apply to (once we get your MCAT score) and perhaps some MD programs (as Faha had cited) that may be interested in your journey.

I am wondering why not stay in the world of physical therapy since you have so many hours as a PTA.

Reactions: 1 users