Career changer chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dietitiantodoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently practicing as a Registered Dietitian and have been for about 2 years, I graduated from undergrad in 2010. I did not realize that I wanted to be an MD until recently, thus I didn't focus my undergraduate studies toward that. I do have most of the pre-med requirements since they are in line with the pre-RD requirements. However, I am missing a couple, so I planned to go back through and re-do all of them to boost my GPA.

My undergrad GPA was 3.3, with retaking some classes and getting all A's I am confident I could get it up to a 3.4.

I work with many MDs and am confident I could get great LOR from many of them.

Unfortunately, though, I have 2 kids and live in NC so I need to stay in NC, also because my husband's job is here and he is going to be the main source of income for the family. Thus I would be only applying to UNC and ECU, and possibly Duke although I realize this is a very very big stretch and likely will not get in. They are also opening a new DO school at Campbell so I will also apply to that.

I am planning on applying to PA school at the same time and using that as a back-up plan. I really thought being a Dietitian would be much different than it is and realized it is just not my calling. I long to do what the doctors do.

i have not yet taken the MCAT

Do I have a chance? Is there anything I can do to boost my resume or chances, especially given my less than stellar GPA? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am currently practicing as a Registered Dietitian and have been for about 2 years, I graduated from undergrad in 2010. I did not realize that I wanted to be an MD until recently, thus I didn't focus my undergraduate studies toward that. I do have most of the pre-med requirements since they are in line with the pre-RD requirements. However, I am missing a couple, so I planned to go back through and re-do all of them to boost my GPA.

My undergrad GPA was 3.3, with retaking some classes and getting all A's I am confident I could get it up to a 3.4.

I work with many MDs and am confident I could get great LOR from many of them.

Unfortunately, though, I have 2 kids and live in NC so I need to stay in NC, also because my husband's job is here and he is going to be the main source of income for the family. Thus I would be only applying to UNC and ECU, and possibly Duke although I realize this is a very very big stretch and likely will not get in. They are also opening a new DO school at Campbell so I will also apply to that.

I am planning on applying to PA school at the same time and using that as a back-up plan. I really thought being a Dietitian would be much different than it is and realized it is just not my calling. I long to do what the doctors do.

i have not yet taken the MCAT

Do I have a chance? Is there anything I can do to boost my resume or chances, especially given my less than stellar GPA? Thank you.

Your best option right now is DO because of your GPA... If you can bring it up to 3.4 or keep it the way it is now at 3.3, a 26+ MCAT score will give a good shot at Campbell. If you want MD, you probably will need 33+ MCAT if you bring that GPA up to 3.4.