Career Changer: Financial Industry to RN program (1 more semester to go)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2ez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Male, 43yrs old with one more semester to go before completing the RN program at the local community college in my area. I took a 10wk FMLA over the summer after being offered an Externship opportunity in an Orthorpedics Dept. 20yrs in the financial industry. First as a Trader then moved over to the Actuarial Dept to price Annuities. My Biz major is Risk Management with a concentration in Actuarial Science and Finance.

I asked for ICU, but the recruiter thought Ortho would be a better fit, so I took it. I have intentions on pursuing a Masters, preferably going the CRNA route, but now don't know how I can. It is highly advised that one should not work while in the program. My Externship pays $15.65/hr and I am only guaranteed 24hrs per week. So as you can imagine this is a serious reduction from my normal salary, but only for 10wks. It will be more of a challenge to go 2yrs+ as required for the CRNA program..esp with having a 15yr daughter that will be off to college in 3yrs.

So my question is......does anyone know or heard of anyone being able to work at all while in a CRNA program ?

Now i know some programs will even go as far as to have students sign that they will not work or else they will be kicked out of the program....but those that do not have this....are students able to pick on a day here and there while still in the program ?

Thanks in advance !

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Male, 43yrs old with one more semester to go before completing the RN program at the local community college in my area. I took a 10wk FMLA over the summer after being offered an Externship opportunity in an Orthorpedics Dept. 20yrs in the financial industry. First as a Trader then moved over to the Actuarial Dept to price Annuities. My Biz major is Risk Management with a concentration in Actuarial Science and Finance.

I asked for ICU, but the recruiter thought Ortho would be a better fit, so I took it. I have intentions on pursuing a Masters, preferably going the CRNA route, but now don't know how I can. It is highly advised that one should not work while in the program. My Externship pays $15.65/hr and I am only guaranteed 24hrs per week. So as you can imagine this is a serious reduction from my normal salary, but only for 10wks. It will be more of a challenge to go 2yrs+ as required for the CRNA program..esp with having a 15yr daughter that will be off to college in 3yrs.

So my question is......does anyone know or heard of anyone being able to work at all while in a CRNA program ?

Now i know some programs will even go as far as to have students sign that they will not work or else they will be kicked out of the program....but those that do not have this....are students able to pick on a day here and there while still in the program ?

Thanks in advance !

I knew of a guy wanting to go to a CRNA program here. I believe he said something about the school suggesting he not work, but he was going to get some weekend per diem slots anyway.

You'll almost always have to have nursing experience, usually something related to critical care, before CRNA school so you'll probably have to work a few years.

I'm not the most qualified person to answer here, but seeing that no one else did I had a break between calls and chose to.

Well if you are smart enough, you can get by with working more. Most who work, only do 1 or 2 shifts a month and load up during short breaks. Some work more but tend to struggle more as well.

Ranger is correct that you will have to work in an ICU. More than likely for 2 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. and yes....Minimum 1yr in an ICU area is required (mandatory). I was thinking I can take a class or two while working, which may increase my chances of being considered for acceptance when it comes time to apply. That is as long as I do well in the class.

The NP route is more friendly when it comes to still working, but the CRNA program is a bit more challenging I understand.

NP is option #2 on my list...but only after fully exhausting every option to make it work if accepted to a CRNA program.

Thanks for the replies. and yes....Minimum 1yr in an ICU area is required (mandatory). I was thinking I can take a class or two while working, which may increase my chances of being considered for acceptance when it comes time to apply. That is as long as I do well in the class.

The NP route is more friendly when it comes to still working, but the CRNA program is a bit more challenging I understand.

NP is option #2 on my list...but only after fully exhausting every option to make it work if accepted to a CRNA program.

Very wise and all correct. I see you've done your research, which I believe means you will most likely succeed. While working either take higher level sciences in chemistry or physics will look good, or at least take a some master nursing courses like stats and research so you may be able to transfer them after acceptance.

I also suggest trying for PA before NP if you are looking for more challenging. Though CRNA and PA are on similar levels of difficulty to matriculate as well as academically challenging, but you'll have a leg up on everyone on getting into PA if you are an RN.