Career Changer Here. Does this sound like a good plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zack_Mack36

Reaction score
I have currently been out of school for a year and I have been working in the legal field since. I have been thinking about becoming a Dentist since November and have developed the following plan so that I can apply to dental school in June 2021. I have around 25 shadowing hours.
My major in college was Biology so I have taken the required classes. I focused a lot on environmental and plant sciences though, but I did take immuno/micro/etc. My oGPA is ~3.6 and my sGPA is ~3.2.

My employment contract ends in May, so I thought that the following would be a good idea while working part-time at my youth center (I do this now):

- June to August: I will study for the DAT and shadow dentists.
- September to December: I will take Anatomy/Physiology I and maybe Calculus at my local college. Continue to shadow.
- December: Take DAT again if I bomb it in August.
- From January to April, I will take Anatomy/Physiology II and maybe another science class. Continue to shadow
- May/June/July: Apply to schools.
-After summer 2021: continue to work, maybe get in, maybe I fail.

I thought that it would be a good idea to take anatomy to familiarize myself with the human body and to get new letters of recommendation from those professors (the professor I knew the best in college was not renewed tenure and is no-contact with former students.)

Would you suggest that I stick with my plan or do a post-bacc/masters instead. I would have difficulty paying for one of these programs and may also have trouble getting LOR from old professors to even enter in the first place.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I had a similar situation where I was a few years out of school. I think you have a solid plan. The only thing I would consider changing is maybe starting off with classes as soon as possible (summer through next year) and saving the DAT for sometime in 2021. That way, the material you learned in your classes is fresh and it will make studying for the DAT easier.

I did an informal post-bacc and was able to pick and choose the classes I wanted to take. Not sure if that's an option wherever you are.