Career changer, looking for DIY Post-Bacc and timeline advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ridebiker

Reaction score
I've been lurking here for quite a while, but have never gotten up the nerve to post. I'm a very nontraditional student (graduated from undergrad in 2012) and looking at switching from my current job (in the engineering industry, I am not an engineer) to apply to Medical school.

I graduated with a bachelors in Exercise Physiology in 2012, and worked in the fitness/outdoor/cycling industry for years until I switched industries in 2020. I went into college as a pre-med and really thought I could handle the workload, but due to a lot of mental health/personal issues, and also going into college as a person who was homeschooled for most of my life (I literally had no idea how to study), I simply couldn't handle the piles of work as a freshman/sophomore. I switched majors after Freshman year to exercise science and eventually around my Junior year really learned how to learn/study in college, and I think I could have been successful as a pre-med then, but it felt too late to switch. I decided to just continue on the exercise science path and become a coach or fitness instructor. After working in that industry and being really, really underpaid and overworked for years, I got the job I have now in 2020, and that's when I finally had the time, and money to actually take a breath, and think about what I really want to do with the rest of my life.

Becoming a physician has been kind of hanging over my head since I switched majors back in college, but I've been too scared to pursue this long and unknown path until the past few years. Honestly, in college I couldn't have told you *why* I wanted to be a doctor, and I'm so happy I didn't pursue it then because I had none of the skills to actually work with people and be successful. I'm so glad I spent the past 10 years working in various forms of coaching/customer service/sales, etc because I actually feel like I have so many more skills to work in this profession. I've also dealt with a lot of chronic pain/health problems in the past 5 years, and have met some incredible physicians who inspired me to pursue this dream again.

Anyway, all of the rambling aside, last Summer I started looking into what courses I need to take, and how to prepare for the MCAT. Since I graduated with a science degree, I already have most of the Biology, Anatomy/Physiology and labs, etc. I met with an advisor who was honestly....pretty rough (are they all like this??) but she got me started on the path to get working on the Chemistry courses right away, since that is such a long course sequence.

Currently I'm taking pre-reqs to be prepared for applying to U of Arizona, which is my local medical school and where I'd love to be accepted. I want to practice rural family medicine, and they have a great program, and I already own a house in Tucson/have a life there, etc. Their prerequisite list is one of the toughest I've seen on MSAR, so I'm just going off of their list, knowing that it will be more than enough for the other schools I want to apply to. I've also already looked at which schools will accept community college and online courses, so I don't really need advice about those things at this time.

What I'm really looking for is advice about my path, working full time, class load, etc. So far, last year I continued to work at my full time job and I took Gen Chem 1, Gen Chem 2 and Biostatistics. I work from home (thank you Covid) so it is a little easier to fit in the schoolwork around my schedule. The semester with two classes was honestly brutal *but* I also purchased and renovated a house at the same time, so I don't expect every semester to suck that much. So far I've done all online classes because that's just what works with my schedule.... Chemistry at my local community college and Biostatistics at U of A. I would LOVE to take all of my classes at U of A but it is *so* expensive and I just can't swing it. Since I am taking post-bacc classes and not getting a degree, I don't qualify for student loans, and I don't make enough in my full time job to cover $3200 per class each semester. I'm saving up right now for the semesters where I'll have to take classes at U of A, but I'm trying to get as many pre-reqs out of the way at the $300 a class community college if I can.

Below are the classes I need to take, and my plans currently for where I will take them/when:

Fall 2022- Organic Chemistry 1 (In person, Community College)
Spring 2023- Organic Chemistry 2 (In person, Community College)
I still need to take:
Physics 2 + lab (and maybe re-take Physics 1 as a review?)
Biochemistry 1 (Plan to take at U of A)
Biochemistry 2 (Plan to take at U of A)
2 Upper Level Biology courses (Plan to take at U of A)

My plan is to take the MCAT sometime after Biochem 1 or Biochem 2. I plan to take the two upper level biology courses the year I am applying, since they aren't a pre-req for all schools, and most schools will let you have courses in progress while you are applying (right??)

My GPA out of undergrad was 3.81 cumulative, and probably a 3.2 science GPA (thanks to a 5 credit hour Calc 1 class that I got a C in freshman year). Thankfully I didn't have a LOT of courses that apply to the science GPA, so with my post-bacc classes if I get all A's (which I have so far) I can pull it up to a 3.65/3.7. Obviously that isn't guaranteed, but even if I get a few B's it will be higher than I started with.

The current thing I'm struggling with is if and when I should quit my full-time job and try to go to school more full time. I am currently 31, and while I know that isn't OLD, it is old to be starting out with med school. My plan at the moment is to apply in 2024 for a 2025 start (if I get in the first time of course). I am giving myself two application cycles, and then I will likely just try to move on and figure out a different plan. If I was in my 20s I would probably try for longer but I have a mortgage and medical expenses and I can't apply to med school forever!

At first I thought I would just work full time at my job and fit classes in around that, and volunteering/clinical experience. That's what I did last year and I was able to do 7 credit hours, work 40 hours, and volunteer about 5-6 hours on the weekend (non clinical right now). I need to find clinical volunteering though, and I also just feel so... disconnected from being a pre-med student. I don't know how I'm going to get to know professors well enough to ask for letters. Or how I'm going to squeeze in another 6 hours of volunteering a week to get clinical experience. Or how to find physicians to shadow. Don't even get me started on the fact that I don't have research experience, outside of a one semester elective that I spent in an Exercise Phys lab. The DIY post bacc route makes these things feel kind of impossible.

So right now I'm tossing around working full time for one more year, while I take OCHEM and continue volunteering as much as I can. And then if it makes sense, applying for another bachelor's degree at U of A, to go to school full time and qualify for student loans. I'd also try to get a part time clinical job and continue volunteering as well. This is like a nuclear option to me though, and quitting my full-time job makes me REALLY nervous. Does this even make sense to do? Will med schools understand my full time work means I have less time to do all of the pre-med things and understand why I don't have 1000+ clinical hours? I am just feeling a little lost with that, and I want to give it my best shot, but I also don't want to completely financially destroy myself when getting into med school isn't guaranteed.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there options at your work? Like can you drop down to 30 hours a week and still be considered full time? Most places offer health insurance at 30 hours a week if that is a concern. You can’t squeeze many more hours in the week it seems so something will have to give. Do you have family support? High amounts of debt already? A spouse that can help with finances and is supportive?

Also as far as getting to know the professors, just email them to set up office hours. My experience has been that many professors love to get to know their older students because they know we have everything to lose going back to school so they know we work hard and take what they teach seriously.

As far as clinical volunteering hours/physicians, while you are taking courses at U of A I am guessing they have at least a premed committee of some kind? Would it be possible to reach out to them and see if they have any advice on clinical hours/shadowing? You can also just reach out to the local hospital and see what volunteering opportunities they have there as well now that many places have opened up again since Covid. Once you get established it becomes much easier to make shadowing opportunities.

Thanks for the response! I'm not sure if there are options to cut hours at my work. My supervisor doesn't know about my plans, or that I'm in school because I don't want to risk my job at this point. In general my job is very low stress, and I make a good enough income to support myself and save, so I'm trying to hang onto it as long as I can. I don't have a spouse, or anyone who can financially support me. The people in my life understand and support me from a distance, but can't really relate to my goals or drive to go back to school at this age. The good thing is I don't have debt, besides my mortgage, but I am risk averse when it comes to taking out loans. I mean, obviously I'll take out boatloads of loans for med school if I need to, but I'm trying not to get too deep into debt until med school is a guarantee. My father has expressed that he might be able to use some of his excess retirement funds to help me out with school once I'm having to take the more expensive classes...but my parents have a history of saying they will help and then changing the story when I actually need their help, so I'm just not counting on it.

That's really good to know about office hours. I had great relationships with a few of my professors my first time through college, but it's so different now with online classes, and IMO community college classes. My instructor last year for Gen Chem at CC was a nightmare, and honestly left a really bad taste in my mouth about community college classes. I'm looking forward to going in person this semester, and hopefully getting to know my professor a little better.

I should look into the premed committee at U of A. I did have a meeting with a pre-med advisor there and he was really nice but super unhelpful/had zero advice for me. I'll have to do more research to see if I can find some better contacts. I have applied to volunteer at the major hospital system here, but one of the issues with living in a city where there is a large university/med school is there are SO many people all vying for the same limited opportunities. I applied at this hospital a year ago, and just heard back last week that they are reviewing applications now. I also applied 6 months ago for shadowing opportunities with a large physician group, and have yet to hear back. I am planning to apply to work at a free clinic near my neighborhood, because that's really the demographic I'm interested in serving anyway....hopefully it won't be as competitive as the hospital. I think I need to get a little more bold with calling/emailing and asking for opportunities. It's definitely not my strong suit, but it really seems like the only way to make things happen, especially when I don't have much/any support.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep you have to be bold, the worst thing that can happen is they say no. My best teachers have all been from community college and when I mentioned they love their older students I was referring to CC specifically. They love nothing more than to get older students who are invested in the classes because they have to deal with 18 years olds all day long who either don’t care or have no idea what they want to do so don’t take the course seriously.

I can’t comment on premed advisors I never talked to one, but I’ve heard that many aren’t that good, hopefully someone else can comment more about reaching out to pre med committees as a non trad student.

The free clinic is a great point to start at and I hope you get an opportunity to follow up with it!

I do understand the financial concerns though. I quit my full time job to pursue a DIY post bac and had to pay for a ACA health insurance which cost an insane amount monthly and had to live off savings for a year and a half and the stress and guilt I felt straining those around me was very hard to live with. It’s a workers market right now though so it probably can’t hurt to see what options work may have, and you may want a letter of recommendation from your supervisor at some point during this process so eventually you will likely have to tell them what’s going on.

Yep you have to be bold, the worst thing that can happen is they say no. My best teachers have all been from community college and when I mentioned they love their older students I was referring to CC specifically. They love nothing more than to get older students who are invested in the classes because they have to deal with 18 years olds all day long who either don’t care or have no idea what they want to do so don’t take the course seriously.
I took my classes at a university rather than community college but the bolded part still held true. If you show up prepared for class and engage deeply with the material, they will definitely notice and want to help you with the next steps in your journey.

Reactions: 1 user

I can’t comment on premed advisors I never talked to one, but I’ve heard that many aren’t that good, hopefully someone else can comment more about reaching out to pre med committees as a non trad student.

The free clinic is a great point to start at and I hope you get an opportunity to follow up with it!

I do understand the financial concerns though. I quit my full time job to pursue a DIY post bac and had to pay for a ACA health insurance which cost an insane amount monthly and had to live off savings for a year and a half and the stress and guilt I felt straining those around me was very hard to live with. It’s a workers market right now though so it probably can’t hurt to see what options work may have, and you may want a letter of recommendation from your supervisor at some point during this process so eventually you will likely have to tell them what’s going on.
Yes the part about quitting my job is my biggest problem atm. I worked for 8 years in an industry where I had to have 2-3 jobs, was on ACA health insurance and was stressed to the max every day. I have the best job I've ever had right now making a comfy income with tons of PTO and benefits. It's hard to imagine giving it up! I definitely will be asking my supervisor for a letter of recommendation in the end, but I'm nervous about telling her my plans in advance. I have tossed around telling her, because my company has tuition reimbursement but it's typically for classes that apply to our company. In brave moments I think about asking for tuition reimbursement for my post-bacc classes, butttt I don't know, I think graduating into a recession has ruined me, haha. I am way too risk averse about quitting a good job.

I've been lurking here for quite a while, but have never gotten up the nerve to post. I'm a very nontraditional student (graduated from undergrad in 2012) and looking at switching from my current job (in the engineering industry, I am not an engineer) to apply to Medical school.

I graduated with a bachelors in Exercise Physiology in 2012, and worked in the fitness/outdoor/cycling industry for years until I switched industries in 2020. I went into college as a pre-med and really thought I could handle the workload, but due to a lot of mental health/personal issues, and also going into college as a person who was homeschooled for most of my life (I literally had no idea how to study), I simply couldn't handle the piles of work as a freshman/sophomore. I switched majors after Freshman year to exercise science and eventually around my Junior year really learned how to learn/study in college, and I think I could have been successful as a pre-med then, but it felt too late to switch. I decided to just continue on the exercise science path and become a coach or fitness instructor. After working in that industry and being really, really underpaid and overworked for years, I got the job I have now in 2020, and that's when I finally had the time, and money to actually take a breath, and think about what I really want to do with the rest of my life.

Becoming a physician has been kind of hanging over my head since I switched majors back in college, but I've been too scared to pursue this long and unknown path until the past few years. Honestly, in college I couldn't have told you *why* I wanted to be a doctor, and I'm so happy I didn't pursue it then because I had none of the skills to actually work with people and be successful. I'm so glad I spent the past 10 years working in various forms of coaching/customer service/sales, etc because I actually feel like I have so many more skills to work in this profession. I've also dealt with a lot of chronic pain/health problems in the past 5 years, and have met some incredible physicians who inspired me to pursue this dream again.

Anyway, all of the rambling aside, last Summer I started looking into what courses I need to take, and how to prepare for the MCAT. Since I graduated with a science degree, I already have most of the Biology, Anatomy/Physiology and labs, etc. I met with an advisor who was honestly....pretty rough (are they all like this??) but she got me started on the path to get working on the Chemistry courses right away, since that is such a long course sequence.

Currently I'm taking pre-reqs to be prepared for applying to U of Arizona, which is my local medical school and where I'd love to be accepted. I want to practice rural family medicine, and they have a great program, and I already own a house in Tucson/have a life there, etc. Their prerequisite list is one of the toughest I've seen on MSAR, so I'm just going off of their list, knowing that it will be more than enough for the other schools I want to apply to. I've also already looked at which schools will accept community college and online courses, so I don't really need advice about those things at this time.

What I'm really looking for is advice about my path, working full time, class load, etc. So far, last year I continued to work at my full time job and I took Gen Chem 1, Gen Chem 2 and Biostatistics. I work from home (thank you Covid) so it is a little easier to fit in the schoolwork around my schedule. The semester with two classes was honestly brutal *but* I also purchased and renovated a house at the same time, so I don't expect every semester to suck that much. So far I've done all online classes because that's just what works with my schedule.... Chemistry at my local community college and Biostatistics at U of A. I would LOVE to take all of my classes at U of A but it is *so* expensive and I just can't swing it. Since I am taking post-bacc classes and not getting a degree, I don't qualify for student loans, and I don't make enough in my full time job to cover $3200 per class each semester. I'm saving up right now for the semesters where I'll have to take classes at U of A, but I'm trying to get as many pre-reqs out of the way at the $300 a class community college if I can.

Below are the classes I need to take, and my plans currently for where I will take them/when:

Fall 2022- Organic Chemistry 1 (In person, Community College)
Spring 2023- Organic Chemistry 2 (In person, Community College)
I still need to take:
Physics 2 + lab (and maybe re-take Physics 1 as a review?)
Biochemistry 1 (Plan to take at U of A)
Biochemistry 2 (Plan to take at U of A)
2 Upper Level Biology courses (Plan to take at U of A)

My plan is to take the MCAT sometime after Biochem 1 or Biochem 2. I plan to take the two upper level biology courses the year I am applying, since they aren't a pre-req for all schools, and most schools will let you have courses in progress while you are applying (right??)

My GPA out of undergrad was 3.81 cumulative, and probably a 3.2 science GPA (thanks to a 5 credit hour Calc 1 class that I got a C in freshman year). Thankfully I didn't have a LOT of courses that apply to the science GPA, so with my post-bacc classes if I get all A's (which I have so far) I can pull it up to a 3.65/3.7. Obviously that isn't guaranteed, but even if I get a few B's it will be higher than I started with.

The current thing I'm struggling with is if and when I should quit my full-time job and try to go to school more full time. I am currently 31, and while I know that isn't OLD, it is old to be starting out with med school. My plan at the moment is to apply in 2024 for a 2025 start (if I get in the first time of course). I am giving myself two application cycles, and then I will likely just try to move on and figure out a different plan. If I was in my 20s I would probably try for longer but I have a mortgage and medical expenses and I can't apply to med school forever!

At first I thought I would just work full time at my job and fit classes in around that, and volunteering/clinical experience. That's what I did last year and I was able to do 7 credit hours, work 40 hours, and volunteer about 5-6 hours on the weekend (non clinical right now). I need to find clinical volunteering though, and I also just feel so... disconnected from being a pre-med student. I don't know how I'm going to get to know professors well enough to ask for letters. Or how I'm going to squeeze in another 6 hours of volunteering a week to get clinical experience. Or how to find physicians to shadow. Don't even get me started on the fact that I don't have research experience, outside of a one semester elective that I spent in an Exercise Phys lab. The DIY post bacc route makes these things feel kind of impossible.

So right now I'm tossing around working full time for one more year, while I take OCHEM and continue volunteering as much as I can. And then if it makes sense, applying for another bachelor's degree at U of A, to go to school full time and qualify for student loans. I'd also try to get a part time clinical job and continue volunteering as well. This is like a nuclear option to me though, and quitting my full-time job makes me REALLY nervous. Does this even make sense to do? Will med schools understand my full time work means I have less time to do all of the pre-med things and understand why I don't have 1000+ clinical hours? I am just feeling a little lost with that, and I want to give it my best shot, but I also don't want to completely financially destroy myself when getting into med school isn't guaranteed.
Why Biochem2? Just take Biochem 1.

Now, I did get a second degree for my DIY so I could get loans. I could've picked a MUCH cheaper school but in retrospect, the experience I got overall was GREAT so it was worth it. All of my chem and math courses from my previous degree ( BS Chem) counted towards the 2nd degree requirements so I just took a bunch of upper bio courses and some gen eds (nice cushion and allowed me to travel abroad). I sat in the front during lab, so it allowed me to have more contact with my professor. Once they found out I was older than my classmates, they looked at me different (in a good way) and became more invested in helping me. You've worked a real job and have different life experiences so you can relate to them at a different level. And since they are basically required to have office hours, might as well take advantage of that time because half them are bored and would like the company.

I worked PT at my job for a year, (mainly weekend shifts at the ER) and I did some admin during the week. The job wasn't feasible with my schedule anymore so I got a weekend job (20 hours; it was chill so I did homework when there was nothing to do.) I also was a PT Undergrad TA during the school year (~8hours a week so i did it between classes/during my students' lab). My only regret was trying to rush to take the MCAT immediately afterwards so I could apply for the following cycle. (That plan didn't work out lol)

In terms of your current job, you could see if you could work PT or PRN to help with the financial burdens until you find something that'll allow some clinical experience.And if your manager is great, they'd be sad but excited for you for making this pivot in your career.

I personally don't have many clinical volunteer hours because I needed to work, so I scribed for years- I have 5000+ hours. Pay was trash but it helped pay bills.

Why Biochem2? Just take Biochem 1.

Now, I did get a second degree for my DIY so I could get loans. I could've picked a MUCH cheaper school but in retrospect, the experience I got overall was GREAT so it was worth it. All of my chem and math courses from my previous degree ( BS Chem) counted towards the 2nd degree requirements so I just took a bunch of upper bio courses and some gen eds (nice cushion and allowed me to travel abroad). I sat in the front during lab, so it allowed me to have more contact with my professor. Once they found out I was older than my classmates, they looked at me different (in a good way) and became more invested in helping me. You've worked a real job and have different life experiences so you can relate to them at a different level. And since they are basically required to have office hours, might as well take advantage of that time because half them are bored and would like the company.

I worked PT at my job for a year, (mainly weekend shifts at the ER) and I did some admin during the week. The job wasn't feasible with my schedule anymore so I got a weekend job (20 hours; it was chill so I did homework when there was nothing to do.) I also was a PT Undergrad TA during the school year (~8hours a week so i did it between classes/during my students' lab). My only regret was trying to rush to take the MCAT immediately afterwards so I could apply for the following cycle. (That plan didn't work out lol)

In terms of your current job, you could see if you could work PT or PRN to help with the financial burdens until you find something that'll allow some clinical experience.And if your manager is great, they'd be sad but excited for you for making this pivot in your career.

I personally don't have many clinical volunteer hours because I needed to work, so I scribed for years- I have 5000+ hours. Pay was trash but it helped pay bills.

UACOM in Tucson requires two semesters of Biochemistry for admission, or 1 semester and tack on an additional upper level Biology course to make 3 total. As far as I've heard, it's super helpful to have the full year of Biochem to prepare for Med school, so I'd rather just take the full year. But I don't feel like I need to have taken both to prepare for the MCAT, so I plan to take it before or while enrolled in the second semester.

The more I think about it the more I want to investigate getting a second Bachelors with my current college credits. I would think it would only be about 1.5 years of full time school at the most since I already have a science degree, and probably worth the loans and effort. It might push my timeline out one year, but the pre medical resources available at U of A seem to be pretty amazing, as long as you are an enrolled student. Perhaps my supervisor would allow me to work some part time, if it can fit around my work schedule. I would like to get clinical work experience though if possible, especially since that would be more flexible with a student schedule vs my job which is solidly 7-3:30.

Sounds like you are formulating a plan which is great! If you are over 26 start doing research on health insurance now though because that was one of the hardest things to manage when I went back. My ACA premiums (sorry nothing affordable about it) was over 600$ a month for just myself so look into if A of U might have something even if it’s crap or if you can get some discounts from ACA.

Reactions: 1 users
UACOM in Tucson requires two semesters of Biochemistry for admission, or 1 semester and tack on an additional upper level Biology course to make 3 total. As far as I've heard, it's super helpful to have the full year of Biochem to prepare for Med school, so I'd rather just take the full year. But I don't feel like I need to have taken both to prepare for the MCAT, so I plan to take it before or while enrolled in the second semester.

The more I think about it the more I want to investigate getting a second Bachelors with my current college credits. I would think it would only be about 1.5 years of full time school at the most since I already have a science degree, and probably worth the loans and effort. It might push my timeline out one year, but the pre medical resources available at U of A seem to be pretty amazing, as long as you are an enrolled student. Perhaps my supervisor would allow me to work some part time, if it can fit around my work schedule. I would like to get clinical work experience though if possible, especially since that would be more flexible with a student schedule vs my job which is solidly 7-3:30.
Yea, just don't bank on the 1.5 years because getting a school to accept all credits you want transferred is tedious and they can make it difficult. Plus, everyone's gen-eds are different so they could require more (it's what happened to me.) I initially planned on 1.5yrs but did 2. (This did help with getting LORs). But if you do 1.5 yrs, you could spend the time immediately afterwards to dedicate to the MCAT instead of attempting it during the school year.

I will say enrolling into a degree program made it sooo much easier to enroll in courses each semester since it gave me a "junior standing". Didn't have to wait or worry about full classes.

Sounds like you are formulating a plan which is great! If you are over 26 start doing research on health insurance now though because that was one of the hardest things to manage when I went back. My ACA premiums (sorry nothing affordable about it) was over 600$ a month for just myself so look into if A of U might have something even if it’s crap or if you can get some discounts from ACA.

I am 31 so that ship has definitely sailed, haha. That is one of my biggest worries about quitting my job, health insurance on ACA is the worst. I have a lot of injuries/pain from years of bike racing, so I definitely need pretty good coverage. The job I have now is the first time I've had great health insurance since I was kicked off my parents. I think there is health insurance at U of A, probably something like $2k a semester, but it's probably better than Arizona health plans, which I've heard are a bit of a **** show.

Yea, just don't bank on the 1.5 years because getting a school to accept all credits you want transferred is tedious and they can make it difficult. Plus, everyone's gen-eds are different so they could require more (it's what happened to me.) I initially planned on 1.5yrs but did 2. (This did help with getting LORs). But if you do 1.5 yrs, you could spend the time immediately afterwards to dedicate to the MCAT instead of attempting it during the school year.

I will say enrolling into a degree program made it sooo much easier to enroll in courses each semester since it gave me a "junior standing". Didn't have to wait or worry about full classes.

This is good to know in regards to credits. In my mind it's this simple process but I'm sure universities do not go out of their way to make it easy because they want as much $$ from students as possible. I'm going to spend the next couple of months/semester looking into it. I want to stay at my job one more year, even if that pushes out my timeline, because we get a generous bonus in the Spring and that will be helpful to add to my school savings.

I'm glad to know the extra time in school helped with LORs. That is one of my biggest concerns. I'd also like to just have more time to immerse myself in school again, volunteer, shadow and get clinical hours. It's scary to think of pushing my application out to 2025, but I'm starting to think it might be the best option to ensure the best MCAT possible and hopefully acceptance the first time around.

Reactions: 1 users