Career Changer wanting to go MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmk0302

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently an active duty Marine Corps officer and will be applying to medical school once I get out in 2022. I plan on completing a post-bacc to complete my pre-reqs. What kind of stats do I need to achieve to have a realistic shot at MD?

-cGPA as a business major: 3.45
-Science pre-reqs yet to be taken
-200 non-clinical volunteer hours
-Vast leadership experience and multiple deployments overseas

Does anybody have any advice on what I can do to strengthen my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Increase your sGPA and cGPA to 3.6 (after you have finished your post-bacc). 50 hours of physician shadowing including primary care. 200 hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact. Obtain a MCAT score of at least 508. Establish residency in a state that has state public medical schools that admit a large number of residents from that state ( Not CA or a state with no public medical school).

Reactions: 1 user
Increase your sGPA and cGPA to 3.6 (after you have finished your post-bacc). 50 hours of physician shadowing including primary care. 200 hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact. Obtain a MCAT score of at least 508. Establish residency in a state that has state public medical schools that admit a large number of residents from that state ( Not CA or a state with no public medical school).

Thank you for the reply! Do you recommend doing a formal post bacc program or just completing a DIY post bacc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Many serious medical school applicants apply the MD and DO route to increase chances, and DO schools are very competitive as well. Lots of DO's are getting into fields other than family medicine. If you're mostly interested in a surgical field or derm then MD would be the degree to shoot for. Otherwise I would definitely consider DO schools as well!

Somewhat similar situation to what you are describing. I can detail my experience for you, it should at least give you a baseline. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Many serious medical school applicants apply the MD and DO route to increase chances, and DO schools are very competitive as well. Lots of DO's are getting into fields other than family medicine. If you're mostly interested in a surgical field or derm then MD would be the degree to shoot for. Otherwise I would definitely consider DO schools as well!

That is a great point. I definitely plan on applying for both.

Reactions: 1 user