Career guidance in public health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CBA300

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a 3rd year student studying clinical audiology. While audiology is an exciting field, I feel that pursuing clinical practice may not be for me. As a result, I am interested in supplementing my audiology degree with an MPH or possibly and MBA with a concentration in health care management. I have many interests in the academics of public health, but am less educated on careers in public health. Ideally, I would like to blend my education in audiology with education in public health or health administration. Does anyone think this would be a worthwhile pursuit? In addition, does anyone know of any resources which may be of assistance? Thanks very much

Members don't see this ad.

Sure - you could blend the two: the most obvious way would be to manage an audiology practice or get into audiology management in a hospital. You may find those types of positions are hard to come by, though. There may be more opportunities with an MPH and subsequent to work with non-profits or research on audiology-related work.

Generally, though, I'd advise you to learn as much as possible about the MPH programs and MBA (or MHA) programs you'd be interested in - there's a huge difference between what you'll learn with each of those even in the same university let alone across universities. If you've truly decided clinical audiology isn't for you, think about what you like in the field, what you'd like to carry over to your career, and figure out which degree will give you a career path that seems the most in-line with those interests.