Career options for MMS Master's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedhopefulwifey

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@premedhopefulwifey I would recommend NOT posting your real name anywhere on these forums - better to stay anonymous and maintain your privacy! You can edit your post to delete your real name.

On to your question... I completed a SMP and will be working as a research associate in a lab this year (my "glide" year). I have friends who took on lab manager positions, research internships, research coordinator jobs, scribing, and other part-time jobs not related to science. From my experience, you can basically do whatever you want during your gap/glide year. That being said, I'm not sure any of those jobs would really count towards boosting your career? They can be great experience, whether research, clinical, or otherwise, but I'm not necessarily sure they would help you "get ahead" in a certain field, especially if it's a science field. Also, a lot of positions (especially paid ones) require you to stay for 2 years minimum. At the end of the day, if your goal is med school, do your absolute best and make your SMP grades count! Your plans for your gap/glide year can come second :)

Reactions: 1 user
If your SMP doesn't have a research component, then the SMP is not worth much else other than as a backdoor into med school.

It's possible that with a few education classes, the MS will be useful for a career in teaching.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Goro. I was informed that the class will end mid July. The term is officially over August 7th, but classes will end mid July. What are your thoughts about that? It's the new Fall UNT online.
Most med schools will want to see how you do in the entire SMP, not part. Hence, I can't be optimistic that you'd have an accept and be ready to shift from SMP to med in that time frame.

And suppose that it does happen? Can you jump from where you live to, say, Albany or Pomona in 2-3 weeks?

Most med schools will want to see how you do in the entire SMP, not part. Hence, I can't be optimistic that you'd have an accept and be ready to shift from SMP to med in that time frame.

And suppose that it does happen? Can you jump from where you live to, say, Albany or Pomona in 2-3 weeks?
Thank you!

HI Goro,

How bad is it to withdraw from a Master's program if someone's undergraduate was strong?

Are you currently in a SMP? Why are you there if your undergrad grades were strong? From what I have heard it is a bad look to withdraw after you matriculate but @Goro is the expert here.

Last edited:
Was this a thesis-based MS, or an SMP?

If the former, it should be OK to withdraw. I wouldn't ding you for it. If the latter, then I'd have to ask why on Earth would a 4.0 student want to take an SMP for???

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users