Career Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atlconic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am currently an undergrad and have been wanting to go into surgery for quite some time. Now due to several semesters worth of bad grades my GPA might not be high enough to warrant a med school admission. I was wondering what other options are there for fields where one would be able to operate and is not an MD or DO?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

How do you feel about feet? You could consider podiatry, I guess. The gpa/MCAT averages are more lenient than those required for medical school...

Members don't see this ad :)
I would guess that PA would be your best bet for getting into an OR. Especially if you work somewhere somewhat rural. One of my friend's father's is a PA and was doing saphenous vein dissections for use in bypass I believe. I think it was kinda cool.

But in all honesty, look into grade replacement and go for DO. I'm sort of in the same boat. Or there is always the option of doing post-bacc.

If you really want it, there are options to get you there.

Good luck!

What sort of GPA are we talking about here? When someone says "low" I think 3.0 or less. But others have differing opinions on what "low" means.

If you have a low GPA for your first year or so of college, but are able to turn it around, most med schools will be willing to look past a lower-than-average GPA. And remember that there's other things med schools consider, like MCAT score, extra curriculars, and letters of recommendation.

Consider all options, but don't give p on anything yet.

What sort of GPA are we talking about here? When someone says "low" I think 3.0 or less. But others have differing opinions on what "low" means.

If you have a low GPA for your first year or so of college, but are able to turn it around, most med schools will be willing to look past a lower-than-average GPA. And remember that there's other things med schools consider, like MCAT score, extra curriculars, and letters of recommendation.

Consider all options, but don't give p on anything yet.

I agree with this. People have gotten into MD and DO schools with significantly subpar GPAs with a lot of hard work and perseverance. Have you considered SMP programs or a post-bacc?

Yeah, depends on the GPA. The PA schools around here have an average GPA around 3.7 so that might not be an option. There are a lot of healthcare areas that you can work in but it really depends on your interests.

I'm no expert, but I've heard of plenty of people getting into med school with less than amazing GPA's. If you want it you'll get it. You just need to compensate with LOR's and great EC's. Don't let your GPA stop you from applying.
And once you get in, post your story on SDN as motivation for all of us :)

Good Luck