Career Prospects of a Pharm D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gvsk

pharMAFIA!!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any one please list out the career prospects of a Registered pharamacist

other than the retail or clinical or hospital pharmacy options....

please list out the other career choices a RPH ( Pharm D ) can make in the US and also the PAY that one may receive.

Sincerely,
GVSK

Members don't see this ad.

Can any one please list out the career prospects of a Registered pharamacist

other than the retail or clinical or hospital pharmacy options....

please list out the other career choices a RPH ( Pharm D ) can make in the US and also the PAY that one may receive.

Sincerely,
GVSK

It looks like you're already enrolled in pharmacy school. I would suggest going to your career center (i'm sure your school has one) to check out options. Off the top of my head, you can do industry-based research, public policy work, political advising, work in a home - care environment, serve as a floating pharmacist, become a manager, run your own independent pharmacy, start up a pharmaceutical corporation (if you've got great management skills and product/research to sell), work for municipal and statewide health groups, World health organization, dean, professor, instructor...in other words, pretty much anything related to medication/health. Pay will range anywhere between 75 to 140k (depending on how much overtime you wanna put in and what level of administrator you become) Deans I hear make at least 200k a year; if you own your pharmacy, you can make upwards of 400k a year. On the other hand, if you work for the WHO, you might make about 60k a year, but it's worthwhile if you really enjoy working in an international environment where you get to travel.

The point is you should be prepared to weigh the cost/benefit of each job. A job may pay well, but be prepared to shoulder greater responsibility, lots of hours, and more stress.

I'd consider looking the FAQs (It's there). You could also search, but the FAQs would be faster. Re: pay, I don't think anything we have breaks down pay of each. It really would vary greatly depending on employer, location, etc. Salary.com may have a salary for pharmacy in general, but I don't know of anywhere that would break it down by specialty.