Career prospects post completion of MS Cancer Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smartyus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone help me what the career/job prospects are after completion of MS in Cancer Biology at MD Anderson.

Apart from research, what else a candidtate can do with MS? And, how good/beneficial it is to be in cancer research field?

Looking forward to hear from you'll.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak to that particular program, but in general the career prospects for someone with a research-based MS are: teach at a community college, teach at a public school (after getting a teaching credential), or work as a low-level researcher at a university or biotech company. All of these jobs markets are pretty stagnant right now.

Of course, the creative person might be able to package their skills more creatively, and get some amazing job.

Thanks a lot..

Any idea what would be the salary for the above mentioned career prospects....

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot..

Any idea what would be the salary for the above mentioned career prospects....

That depends on a lot of factors... but less than what you make as a dentist!

Some rough estimates:

Public school teacher: $35,000-$60,000

Community college teacher: $35,000-$80,000

Master's-level researcher: $30,000-$100,000? (can go quite high at the right company, especially with other benefits like stock options)

Note: These are some estimates for how much money you can make if you actually get a full-time job. Not getting a job is a real possibility. If you can't get a job, then your salary will be $0.

Thanks again.

Post completion of MS, do companies like companies like GE, Wipro etc hire candidate with masters and research experience? Also are there any hospitals where people like me can join?

Bump !

So I am an International MD with masters in Hematology department . I am confused a what path to take but i really don't fancy the dealing with patient thingie . I am now working in a research at a good university asa volunteer . turned out that i love research . so I am thinking of applying for a Msc degree in Cancer and cell biology ? What will that do for me ? I am also thinking now of working in industry ....How good is that ? Plus will the Msc in Cancer biology help me in hunting for that job as a R&D in a big company ?

or is it better to go to the other road which is Health care management . and working in HMP which i also like ....

so What does a Msc of Cancer and cell biology do for you ? is it better or doing an MPH let's say in Health management policy ?