Apparition

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 6, 2002
Status (Visible)
Has anyone started a non-medical career before deciding to apply to med school? In what field, how did it go, and why did you decide to leave it? :cool:

aidan73

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2003
TX
Status (Visible)
Well, it wasn't a conscious decision, I really was not pre-med as an undergrad. I did not start thinking about applying to med school until March 2003. I graduated in 1999.

I was totally non-trad the whole time. Started the degree when I was 20, finished at 26. I thought at the time I would go into teaching. Talking to some actual teachers kinda changed my mind! I'm the first in a very large extended family to graduate from college, but hopefully not the last. I have cousin that is at UT-Austin and really has her heart set on PharmD.

So here I have a Bio degree, working as an oil/gas analyst. The job is not that bad, it's just not what I want to be doing with my life. The pay is good, and the benefits are great. Hell, my boss's office is about 15-20 miles north of here and I go weeks at a time without talking to her - not that she's the devil or anything, but it is a sweet situation!

I will be 31 this summer, and 32 when I start if I get accepted this cycle. I'll be sitting for the MCAT this month while I 'm 8 months pregnant. Do I wish I hadn't done this so ass backwards? Yes, but that's just how it worked out.

hilikus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2004
San Antonio
Status (Visible)
I'm a non-trad with a degree in journalism. I work in television news in San Antonio directing the 5pm & 10pm news at a network affiliate. It's been tough juggling both because they are both equally demanding but I like the challenge. Hopefully it will pay off when I take the MCAT in a year.

About the Ads

DOCTORSAIB

Ophtho or bust!
15+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2000
Baltimore, MD
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Worked in retail banking part-time during college and in long-term investment banking as a Financial Advisor with American Express, Inc. after I graduated with my BA in Psych.

Thought I would love my job and be happy with $$$. Realized otherwise, quit in 2001 and havent regreted it once. If I get off any of the 3 waitlists that Im on, I'll be starting med school this August..:)

DOCTORSAIB

B

Blade28

Originally posted by OnMyWayThere
entrepeneur making 6 figures ----> student soon in debt with no regrets...

Er...in debt even though you were making 6 figures?

Pembleton

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2002
Status (Visible)
After college, I had a few different advertising jobs. Media buyer in print, television, radio and internet. I've also worked in the marketing departments of a major newspaper and I've done recruiting for the government.

Now I'm trying to get into med school. Why I left? All those jobs were fun and I had great experiences and met some good friends, but I felt I had other things to do in my life.

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
did veterinary medicine for a short while

worked as a marketing executive, marketing consultant, telemarketer and baker boy

asdasd12345

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
Status (Visible)
i worked for my parents furniture business since i graduated in 1999. im now 27 and looking to begin my first medical experience of any kind.

2bMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2004
Status (Visible)
Worked in the electrical / electronic industry for the past 16 years, and in business for myself for the last ten. Just started taking the pre-reqs this semester (Bio 101, and 102) I have an associates degree in electronics and a lot of general education courses, but no science other than physics. Bio is really kicking my A I think I had my last Bio course about 18 years ago in tenth grade of high school, so I am not sure I will be able to pull out A's. Up until now I have had a 4.0, and now I am really discouraged. I am going to keep plugging along though.

If you do not make an A or B should you withdraw and take it again next semester? Will a C kill your shot at getting in to med. school?

skypilot

2K Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2002
Beantown
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
CPA and business consultant for 13 years making a great living. I am hoping to get a bigger charge out of being a doc though.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.