Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

careers before med school

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Apparition, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Apparition

Apparition 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Has anyone started a non-medical career before deciding to apply to med school? In what field, how did it go, and why did you decide to leave it? :cool:

2. aidan73

aidan73 Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, it wasn't a conscious decision, I really was not pre-med as an undergrad. I did not start thinking about applying to med school until March 2003. I graduated in 1999.

I was totally non-trad the whole time. Started the degree when I was 20, finished at 26. I thought at the time I would go into teaching. Talking to some actual teachers kinda changed my mind! I'm the first in a very large extended family to graduate from college, but hopefully not the last. I have cousin that is at UT-Austin and really has her heart set on PharmD.

So here I have a Bio degree, working as an oil/gas analyst. The job is not that bad, it's just not what I want to be doing with my life. The pay is good, and the benefits are great. Hell, my boss's office is about 15-20 miles north of here and I go weeks at a time without talking to her - not that she's the devil or anything, but it is a sweet situation!

I will be 31 this summer, and 32 when I start if I get accepted this cycle. I'll be sitting for the MCAT this month while I 'm 8 months pregnant. Do I wish I hadn't done this so ass backwards? Yes, but that's just how it worked out.

3. hilikus

hilikus Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm a non-trad with a degree in journalism. I work in television news in San Antonio directing the 5pm & 10pm news at a network affiliate. It's been tough juggling both because they are both equally demanding but I like the challenge. Hopefully it will pay off when I take the MCAT in a year.

4. DOCTORSAIB

DOCTORSAIB Ophtho or bust!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Worked in retail banking part-time during college and in long-term investment banking as a Financial Advisor with American Express, Inc. after I graduated with my BA in Psych.

Thought I would love my job and be happy with $$$. Realized otherwise, quit in 2001 and havent regreted it once. If I get off any of the 3 waitlists that Im on, I'll be starting med school this August..:)

DOCTORSAIB

5. hanselthemedic

hanselthemedic Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was a used car dealer. Just think of it...used car dealer to doctor!!!:laugh: :clap: :laugh: :clap:

6. OnMyWayThere

OnMyWayThere OMS-III
    10+ Year Member

entrepeneur making 6 figures ----> student soon in debt with no regrets...

7. johnnyMD

johnnyMD Membership Revoked
    Removed

unemployed!

8. Er...in debt even though you were making 6 figures?

9. Pembleton

Pembleton Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

After college, I had a few different advertising jobs. Media buyer in print, television, radio and internet. I've also worked in the marketing departments of a major newspaper and I've done recruiting for the government.

Now I'm trying to get into med school. Why I left? All those jobs were fun and I had great experiences and met some good friends, but I felt I had other things to do in my life.

10. ericdamiansean

ericdamiansean High Profiler
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    did veterinary medicine for a short while

worked as a marketing executive, marketing consultant, telemarketer and baker boy

11. asdasd12345

asdasd12345 Membership Revoked
    Removed

i worked for my parents furniture business since i graduated in 1999. im now 27 and looking to begin my first medical experience of any kind.

12. 2bMD

2bMD Member
    7+ Year Member

Worked in the electrical / electronic industry for the past 16 years, and in business for myself for the last ten. Just started taking the pre-reqs this semester (Bio 101, and 102) I have an associates degree in electronics and a lot of general education courses, but no science other than physics. Bio is really kicking my A I think I had my last Bio course about 18 years ago in tenth grade of high school, so I am not sure I will be able to pull out A's. Up until now I have had a 4.0, and now I am really discouraged. I am going to keep plugging along though.

If you do not make an A or B should you withdraw and take it again next semester? Will a C kill your shot at getting in to med. school?

13. skypilot

skypilot 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    CPA and business consultant for 13 years making a great living. I am hoping to get a bigger charge out of being a doc though.