Quantcast

careers with a public Health degree??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrysies81

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
What types of careers can I pursue with a master in Public Health? I like medicine, but I do not like the lifestyle a physician has to pursue. So I am trying to investigate other fields where I can do science, but also work with patients. I greatly appreciate any advice or comment.

Thanks,

Cras47

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What types of careers can I pursue with a master in Public Health? I like medicine, but I do not like the lifestyle a physician has to pursue. So I am trying to investigate other fields where I can do science, but also work with patients. I greatly appreciate any advice or comment.

Thanks,

If you want to interact with patients you usually need a healthcare degree like a nurse, physician, physician's assistant, or maybe a dietary councilor, or even an inpatient pharmacist. A public health degree really doesn't let you work with patients, it is basically a master's degree in public health, i.e. some epidemiology, some healthcare, . . . but in no way do you know enough to diagnose and treat patients. I am not sure, but I would guess that most people with only an MPH basically work in a cubicle doing studies for government or non-profits, they help people, but they don't have direct patient contact.

Jack Daniel

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Thanks,

I agree with Cras47's comment. But, while you can't work with patients, you can work with the public, which can be just as satisfying. Earning a MPH can lead to opportunities in many areas that intersect with the general public, especially in local and state government.

Eristotle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
bump :)..this is exactly what i wanted to ask..

as much as i research on mph's [especially global and international] and reading the comments on this thread...i still don't get what kind of job you can get or what exactly the kind of work one does with an MPH...public health seems interesting but i am still kind of unsure...

can you guys be more elaborate about what kind of work they do?..also, is anyone on this board already have an MPH and could tell us what they do for a living? thanks.

Pfizer has a book that lists some careers in public health.
http://www.nynj-phtc.org/PHNX/res/pfizer-publichealthcareers.pdf
Though interesting, my main problem with this book is that everybody in there has some other higher degree (M.D. or PhD) besides an MPH, so it's not very helpful, because who's to say they got the job they currently have because of their higher degree.

From what I've researched, jobs that most utilize people with a solo MPH are gonna be with the government and are very localized: CDC in Atlant, GA, NIH in Maryland/D.C. are some examples.

Anybody, please feel free to refute my statements and show me the light, because I too, would like to know what other jobs are out there.

Jack Daniel

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pfizer has a book that lists some careers in public health.
http://www.nynj-phtc.org/PHNX/res/pfizer-publichealthcareers.pdf
Though interesting, my main problem with this book is that everybody in there has some other higher degree (M.D. or PhD) besides an MPH, so it's not very helpful, because who's to say they got the job they currently have because of their higher degree.

From what I've researched, jobs that most utilize people with a solo MPH are gonna be with the government and are very localized: CDC in Atlant, GA, NIH in Maryland/D.C. are some examples.

Anybody, please feel free to refute my statements and show me the light, because I too, would like to know what other jobs are out there.

Yep, I agree that many good public health jobs require a MD/PhD or sometimes a nursing degree. But don't give up hope. Government jobs are a great way to get solid experience.

And by government, don't forget state government. Lot's of opportunities at the state level for MPH-trained professionals.

In MA, for example, the state department of public health will use MPH people as program coordinators, health educators and project managers. These jobs are in infectious disease tracking, prevention, maintaining registries and of course chronic disease education programs.

dr1day

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an MPH in Maternal and Child Health and worked for almost 10 years as a health educator at a county health department. I went into the schools, health clinics and other community agencies and did presentations on a variety of topics. I also provided health education for the patients in the family planning clinic. In the right agency there is the opportunity for patient contact.