1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Careless mistaks...

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by frank51, Apr 18, 2004.

1. frank51

frank51 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I just want to know if any one else has realized that they made one of those careless mistakes on the test (changing answers, not trusting your instincts, etc?) and now can?t get over it. I changed one of my answers last minute during the BS section, and can?t stop asking myself what if that one question made the difference between a 9 or 10, a 10 or 11, etc?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. akalin24

akalin24 Member
    10+ Year Member

I changed an answer from the first passage in the last 40 seconds.... It was the passage referring to the SET.

I changed my answer to eukaryotes used to live inside prokaryotes! Who knows..

4. a*brown

a*brown Member
    7+ Year Member

I couldn't decide on any of the answer choices they had! None of them made sense. Wouldn't it be prokaryotes live within eukaryotes?

5. akalin24

akalin24 Member
    10+ Year Member

I thought it was the other way around?? I thought the SET was supossed to explain why mitochondria and chloroplasts (eukaryotic organelles) were similar in shape, size, and structure as bacteria?

6. a*brown

a*brown Member
    7+ Year Member

but how could euk. live within prok. if they are larger in size? maybe i didn't understand the answer choices.

7. Nate

Nate Missing
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That is the point, the answer was prok. inside of prok.

Euk. cant live in Prok. obviously because of size, the question was referring to how Euk. evolved from Prok. forming symbiotic relationships within other Prok.

8. akalin24

akalin24 Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks. I obviously blew that one!

9. UDbiochem

UDbiochem Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm going to stop reading this board about what happened at the mcat and all the questions i might/might have not missed. I can't change it now.... why dwell on it. I'll get my score back in June and if i did well enough, i won't take again. There's no point i freaking out how badly i did when i don't even know. And frankly, as of now.. don't care. :rolleyes:

10. ornis4

ornis4 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That was my exact reasoning...prokaryotes inside of other prokaryotes in the early evolutionary stages gave rise to eukaryotes over time.

11. Kasey

Kasey Member
    10+ Year Member

This threw me a little, and I first answered the prok. inside of prok. but then looked at the passage again and they mentioned that early prokaryotes had to live in communities and that's how the whole thing came about and so I changed my answer to the ability to live in commiunities which was totally base don the passage, not my instincts... These type of questions drive me insane!
    -K

12. Marvin O'Connor

Marvin O'Connor Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I put prokaryotes inside of other prokaryotes, too (after a few minutes of head scratching). I think it's right, just too bad I wasted all my time on it.

13. vegangirl

vegangirl DOctor begins with DO
    7+ Year Member

What about the question concerning modern eukaryotes? I dont remember the exact details just that I put down that eukaryotes no longer are in anaerobic conditions and one of the other answer choices was that eukaryotes no longer engulf other cells.