Carib. Med. Student --to-- D.O.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leukocyte

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a MS-3 at Ross (almost done with 3rd year), and lately, I have been preoccupied with the fear of not being able to get licensed in all 50 states. I do not know in which state I will be practicing, nor do I know were I will find a job, so having the option of getting licensed in any state in very important to me.
For example, I heard that Texas no longer gives Carib. graduates medical licensure. What if other states follow Texas in the future!!! I will be F*****.

So I am deciding wither or not I should apply to D.O. schools (for the 2005 entering class) and start all over again.

Reasons:

1) No worries about licensure.
2) I think OMT is a cool skill.

One note about me is that before going to Ross in 2001, I applied to 5 allopathic and 5 osteopathic schools. I was regected from all 5 allopathic schools. However, I was accepted at 4 D.O. schools.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it? Any advice?

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Leukocyte
I am a MS-3 at Ross (almost done with 3rd year), and lately, I have been preoccupied with the fear of not being able to get licensed in all 50 states. I do not know in which state I will be practicing, nor do I know were I will find a job, so having the option of getting licensed in any state in very important to me.
For example, I heard that Texas no longer gives Carib. graduates medical licensure. What if other states follow Texas in the future!!! I will be F*****.

So I am deciding wither or not I should apply to D.O. schools (for the 2005 entering class) and start all over again.

Reasons:

One note about me is that before going to Ross in 2001, I applied to 5 allopathic and 5 osteopathic schools. I was regected from all 5 allopathic schools. However, I was accepted at 4 D.O. schools.

Thank You

I can understand your fears, but aren't you overreacting a little bit?

I'm wondering how you plan on financing another degree and will find the energy to start over again.

Texas has issues with Ross, but to my knowledge that is the only state where Ross grads may have problems. (Though I understand that Ross is working on solving the problem.) To my knowledge, Ross is California approved and Ross graduates are practicing throughout the US.

Miklos

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Leukocyte

Leukocyte... deep breath... breathe, man, breathe...

I'm in the same exact boat as you and, I can promise you, I have absolutely no worries. Texas is... well, Texas has plenty of it's own problems right now. And, I'm not sure what they are going to do if they decide to no longer honor degrees from Ross or SGU, seeing as they are current residents in programs there right now. How can they accept a current practicing doctor with a Ross degree and deny entry to others? I think that, if anything at all happens with this, they will most likely be spending more time in court than they had intended.

There is a forecast for a HUGE shortage of doctors in the U.S. by the year 2020. The last thing states are going to do is cut-off an influx of highly motivated, equivalently trained U.S. citizen-doctors into the U.S. opting instead for physicians from countries where the program has to provide visas, cultural training, etc. It's not like we don't have to pass all of the same tests.

No. I think that this Texas thing is going to really backfire. But, that's Texas for you. Shoot from the hip. Don't mess with Texas. Are you really surprised? I mean, look at who's in the White House.

:laugh:

Don't worry, dude. Everyting gon' be awright, mon.

-Skip

Leukocyte said:

Reasons:

Thank You
Why didn't you go DO in the first place? The way it goes is 1.MD 2.DO 3.caribbean. Now you face the problem of possibly not getting back in the US just because you went to Ross.

Personally I don't understand it particularly when there are people like me who were accepted to a US MD school and are still going to DO. You chose Ross over DO while I'm choosing DO over Temple or Drexel. :confused:

It's a crazy world we live in. Personally, I don't think it's worth trying again. You can look at transferring to a DO school instead of starting over. I think NYCOM has a program specifically for caribbean graduates, and it's less years.

Enduring those first two years plus step I once is ENOUGH. Don't burn yourself out. You'll need that energy to pass all your other boards and get through residency with your personality intact. Screw Texas if they have issues. Food sucks there.

If you landed a decent step I score you're in the clear my friend. Get through your clinicals and land yourself a residency. Apply early and broad to save yourself from any possibilty of scrambling.

As for above poster I would go MD if you have ANY remote tinges of even thinking about specializing. Its possible as a DO but you really need to be above average to land those positions.