Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Carib vs. Dental School

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by brodaiga, Dec 17, 2005.

?

Carib vs. Dental Specialization

1. Carib

28 vote(s)
    47.5%
  2. Dental

31 vote(s)
    52.5%
  1. brodaiga

brodaiga Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have already been accepted somewhere, but I was thinking about this choice if I hadn't been. Would you deal with the tough life of the carib med school or go to a US dental school and try to specialize? Assuming that you could not get into a DO school either.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This can only end badly -- you are basically asking allo premeds to say which is a lesser evil.

4. SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

is reapply an option?

5. brodaiga

brodaiga Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    it is a simple question which should lead to interesting personal perspectives, hopefully no flaming

6. jon stewart

jon stewart Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

its goona be flammed, these topics have already been talked about.

7. docknyn

docknyn Junior Member

how much do you really want to go to med school. in my opinion if you really wanted to be an MD you would go through any process to get it (carib)

8. These are totally different career paths, so I bet it heavily depends on why the person wants be be an MD. If it is income (which is ******ed because there are better ways to make more money), then I bet people would choose dentist. If they have some obsession with being an MD (which is also ******ed) then caribbean. But I think the unlisted "other" choice would be the best one.

9. brodaiga

brodaiga Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hmm, the poll resulsts are interesting

10. brodaiga

brodaiga Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hmm, the poll results are interesting

11. RunnerMD

RunnerMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

#10 RunnerMD, Dec 17, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  12. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]

I don't really have a vote as to what I would do. However, I do see the relevance in this question as it has been of a debate amongst many friends at my University.

I've had several friends who were premed, but got back MCAT scores and did not do sooooooo great. As a result, they toyed with a few ideas. Their first idea was wait another year to retake the MCAT. But then they realized they didn't really want to do that. So their next choice was DO, Carrib, or Dental. After much thinking over this issue, they decided to shadow a dentist and many of them found that they enjoyed the dentistry field and found that it might be better in some ways. For one, you get a good stable salary and job security while also getting to deal with patients and what not, but you don't have to deal with the huge insurance issues etc that docs face because it is mostly cash pay. For two, it is easier hours and allows for a family.

Another thing to realize with dental is that you have the ability to go into specialties, even within dentistry, and can even go into surgery if you desire to do maxillofacial surgery. Hence, it is not a bad option to consider if you like working with people's face and oral area. I am not really interested in the oral area, which is why I have stayed away from this option.

Finally, a third point with dental school is that you do or don't have to go through a post residency training, at least I think that is the rules.

Many of these people, who did this, had already shadowed both and liked both. However, the answer to this question essentially depends on what you want to do with your life. What are your passions within healthcare is what it comes down to.

For my case, I don't really like dental stuff. I like stuff like internal med, infectious diseases, and neurology. So I'd probably reapply or go to the Carribbean. But more or less, I'd try to reapply first.

13. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member

Attending Physician
    Sounds to me like they weren't really sold on medicine in the first place, and would have been doing it for the wrong reasons. It doesn't sound like a very strongly held dream career, if you are willing to toss it aside rather than retake an MCAT. If lifestyle, insurance issues, hours and job security are your key concerns there are lots of other careers out there, and most are easier, more family friendly paths than medicine. Thus, dentistry is probably a better route for them. It probably was even if they had gotten high MCAT scores though (based on your post), so they probably dodged a bullet and got lucky they did as poorly as they did. By contrast, the carribean route is probably a much harder (and more expensive) path than just retaking an MCAT.

14. odrade1

odrade1 UASOM alum
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Unless your dental school is in the bottom quartile of dental schools, if you can't get into an allopathic program stateside, then you can't get into a dental school stateside either. The requirements are similar, as are the EC, volunteer, and other expectations. So really there is only one option: carib.
    Why not opto? Their requirements are less similar to MD schools than dental schools are.

My friends (including my partner) in dental school all said that they wished they had gone MD; this was true until about 6 months after they graduated. At that point, they were glad they went DMD. The dental students at our school (Alabama = number 1 on boards last year!) are wrung through the wringer the first 2 years even more so than the MD students, plus they get less respect. The clinical training is different; my MSIII friends are happier than my DSIII friends. (Even though the DSIIIs have better hours...) The major difference is that residencies are optional years of torture for DMDs.

15. chaeymaey

chaeymaey 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Another way to become a physician is by starting out in dental school and applying for OMS (oral and maxilofacial surgery). You do 4 yrs dental school, start med school as a 2nd year med student, and graduate from med school. You then can do your oral surgical residency or you can do a residency in any medical specialty. There are plenty of people who entered an OMS program, and then decided they wanted to do family practice, internal medicine, etc., when they were doing their med school rotations. So you can avoid the MCAT and still become a US MD this way.

16. CerealBox

CerealBox Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i don't think dental school is that easy to get into. it is not equivalent to a carib. school.

17. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

I tend to agree with you there because I had talked to many of them and they had admitted that of which you stated.

I know a few friends who really wanted medicine and MD only, and a few who did not get into MD or DO in US, so they chose to do Carrib school. Some of them took the MCAT 3 times and still couldn't get a decent score. So they went the island route. Some of them said it was tough like all med school but they actually did find themselves enjoying it. So I guess, like anything, it really comes down to making the best of a situation. For me, I'm not sure that I would do that unless it was a completely last resort.

However, if it came down to it, then I would consider it.

18. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    As someone who originally thought about being a dentist because of the better hours, I would recommend against the "backup" approach because if you want to be a doctor, be a doctor. Most of what a DDS does is so dull as to drive anyone who isn't 100% into it crazy very rapidly. This is why I chose medicine over dentistry- I can't see myself drilling and filling for the next 20+ years. The chances to specialize in dentistry are not as good as medicine and therefore a vast majority of dentists are general practitioners- meaning that most of you (and if you are in the described circumstances I'm assuming you're aren't the best student out there) who would pursue dentistry and who would be lucky enough to gain admissions would wind up being general dentists and that is a very dull life to lead, definitely one that must be a calling.

19. anon-y-mouse

anon-y-mouse Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    were you accepted into an allopathic program? or DO?

the clear answer in this case is to fix anything that's wrong in one's record and re-apply for US MD.

20. MEG@COOL

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Id just go to grad school instead of either option. Grad school would be fun for sure.

21. Zoom-Zoom

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know someone who despite a great GPA, just couldn't get close to a reasonable score on the MCAT after 3 attempts (I'm talking sub-20), and has now been accepted to two great dental schools. As many differences as there are between the two fields, I don't see this as an indicator that the person wasn't interested in medicine. There are a lot of similarities: a love for science, patient interaction, healthcare, surgery, etc. In fact, it is not too hard to imagine dentistry as a medical specialty just like ophthalmology, if the world didn't need so many more dentists than ophthalmologists. Just my $ .02...

22. DropkickMurphy

Removed

Excellent point, and it really IS a medical specialty. It's all a matter of semantics that keeps it "seperate".

Of course, it bored the hell out of me watching dental work and it bores the hell out of me to watch FP and IM docs work....hmmmmm.....

23. Zoom-Zoom

7+ Year Member

Medical Student

Yeah I definitely wouldn't want to spend my career staring down into a tiny mirror reflecting the backwards image of the inside of a dark, smelly hole, but hey, some people are just crazy about those molars!

24. DropkickMurphy

Removed

It's a tossup whether I'd prefer to do that or be a primary care doc......

25. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member

Attending Physician
    You just described a half dozen medical specialties as well. Although fiber optic cameras are replacing the tiny mirror. But dentistry basically means you have decided on your specialty before you even started school.

26. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

Agreed with law2doc. While there will be some different things seen, a lot of what you see once you specialize, is often similar cases. That is my understanding from shadowing and from talking to doctors.

27. DropkickMurphy

Removed

Yes, but at least those medical specialties make more than a DDS and get better respect. I guess that kinds of makes up for it.

28. jbrice1639

jbrice1639 Cub Fan, Bud Man
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    no neither option? i'd probably just get a job back in the business world again before either of those options...