Caribbean med school question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ADSigMel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this question has already been asked and answered. I didn't see any previous threads addressing it in my search.

I was wondering if all med schools located in the Caribbean fall under the "Caribbean med school" umbrella. What about the med schools in Puerto Rico? For example, I believe the University of Puerto Rico school of medicine is LCME accredited, so I would *assume* that it would be easier to get a residency from there than from somewhere like St. George's.

To be clear, I'm not planning to apply to med school in P.R. (or elsewhere in the Caribbean). I was just wondering if P.R. med schools get lumped in with the rest of the Caribbean even though it's a U.S. territory.

Members don't see this ad.

All Puerto Rican schools are LCME accredited. 3 of them accept applications from mainlanders (UPR does not).
"Caribbean" is used to describe the 60+ unaccredited (non-LCME) schools located in this geographic area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The Puerto Rican schools do not fall under the traditional SDN advice of "don't even think about applying to the carribean unless you love being 300K in debt and not being a doctor". They are LCME accredited and are a true option to consider if you have ties to the island or are bilingual.

Edit: lol yup^^

Reactions: 1 user
Here is a list that this completely for-profit, medical-school sponsored site ,says was updated a bit less than a year ago. I looked over other parts of the site and schools, some of which are gone. This site doesnt even cover a growing china market.
http://www.valuemd.com/caribbean-medical-schools.html
John F. Kennedy University. Such a shame the man's name is being used for such purposes...

John F. Kennedy University. Such a shame the man's name is being used for such purposes...
And Georgetown American University School of Medicine.

Why don't they have a Harvard American Medical School?

It amazes me that these schools are able to fill up every year.
And Georgetown American University School of Medicine.

Why don't they have a Harvard American Medical School?
They have American Global and American International U, which are kind of oxymorons.

It amazes me that these schools are able to fill up every year.
Supply and DEMAND. Unfortunately, we live in a less than ideal world, where a horrifyingly high number of people refuse to accept reality.