Caribbean Med School ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SprintAhead21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Well, you should probably check with the medical licensing board on the Cayman islands, although out of curiosity, why?

Many states in the US and the other countries, consider some of the schools to be diploma mills, so you might run it recognition problems.

I understand that if you plan to practice in the United States a degree from these Caribbean schools is next to worthless. But what if I don't want to practice in the United States? Would getting a degree from St. Matthews allow me to practice on the Cayman Islands?

"Next to worthless" is a little harsh

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A few years back, my family and I went on a cruise that happened to stop in the Caymans. My parents liked it so that that they decided to pack up and live there as a place of retirement within the next 5 years. I also really liked it, I currently live and go to college in the midwest but I'm not a fan of many things here I was destined to live some place tropical. If you have never been there, it is extremely Americanized. It is British owned and you won't find many things here that you don't have there, so from the many times that I have been there I don't see myself going through much of a curve. All of this has not changed my desire and pathway to practice medicine, it's just I don't know much about practicing in the Caribbean so I'm not sure if I would like to attend an American medical school.

I would tell you to check specifically, about their status vis-a-vis the UK, in terms who makes the laws and if they are part of the England/UK or administratively independently(in so far as medical practitioners are concerned). But anyway I slice it seems to me it's a better proposition to go for a US MD degree or a UK MBBS degree rather than a Carribean MD. There can be a lot twists and turns in life and I'd rather put my money on the gold standard.

Edit: Found a video explaining the legal status of Cayman Islands(5:15s long)

I would tell you to check specifically, about their status vis-a-vis the UK, in terms who makes the laws and if they are part of the England/UK or administratively independently(in so far as medical practitioners are concerned). But anyway I slice it seems to me it's a better proposition to go for a US MD degree or a UK MBBS degree rather than a Carribean MD. There can be a lot twists and turns in life and I'd rather put my money on the gold standard.
Concurred. Even an INDIAN MBBS degree allows better practice opportunities abroad and elsewhere than a Caribbean degree..

I understand that if you plan to practice in the United States a degree from these Caribbean schools is next to worthless. But what if I don't want to practice in the United States? Would getting a degree from St. Matthews allow me to practice on the Cayman Islands?

Next to worthless??? Wrong!! If you are one to actually graduate you will get something in the US, although not likely what you want. Worthless isn't the right word.

Next to worthless??? Wrong!! If you are one to actually graduate you will get something in the US, although not likely what you want. Worthless isn't the right word.
Nope. Have you seen their match rates? Deadly.

A few years back, my family and I went on a cruise that happened to stop in the Caymans. My parents liked it so that that they decided to pack up and live there as a place of retirement within the next 5 years. I also really liked it, I currently live and go to college in the midwest but I'm not a fan of many things here I was destined to live some place tropical. If you have never been there, it is extremely Americanized. It is British owned and you won't find many things here that you don't have there, so from the many times that I have been there I don't see myself going through much of a curve. All of this has not changed my desire and pathway to practice medicine, it's just I don't know much about practicing in the Caribbean so I'm not sure if I would like to attend an American medical school.

The Cayman Islands you see on a cruise and the Cayman Islands that you live in day-in day-out are not the same Cayman islands. I think this is a common misconception people have about "island paradises".

Reactions: 1 users

This isn't correct, match rates are around 50% from what I remember. That's a 50% chance of being 300k in debt and without a job to pay it back. Not a chance I'd want to take

This isn't correct, match rates are around 50% from what I remember. That's a 50% chance of being 300k in debt and without a job to pay it back. Not a chance I'd want to take

Yup, closer to 75% if you get into one of the top Caribbean medical schools, but still not a chance anyone logical would want to take!

If you have the stats to get into a medical school in the US (MD or DO), definitely pursue that path.