Caribbean Med Schools vs Low Rankng US/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ragingbull126

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Given my mcat scores, I can only hope for at best making a DO school, somehow eaking by in a sub par MD program in the US, or shipping out to the caribbean (St. Georges)

So what do you all suggest? If i go to the caribbean i have a guaranteed residency in the US, but will I learn anything while im there?

Is it better to go for a DO in the US as compared to an MD in the caribbean?

Im so confused,
thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, there is no such thing as a "sub par MD program in the US." Every U.S. medical school is fully accredited by the LCME, so no graduate of any of these schools-no matter what the ranking- will experience any problems in that respect. Same thing goes for all U.S. DO schools. As long as they're fully accredited, you should have no trouble getting a residency (though perhaps not necessarily the residency you want at the hospital you want.)
Second, going to the Caribbean does not give you a "guaranteed residency in the US". You will still have to pass USMLE Steps 1 and 2 and the Clinical Skills Assessment and jump through lots of hoops to get there. It can be done, but it certainly isn't a guarantee. Caribbean schools are a whole different story- in terms of getting a residency in the U.S., it's far better to graduate from the lowest-rated DO or MD school in the U.S. than from the best Caribbean school. Try to go to a U.S. school if possible- study hard and retake the MCAT if your scores are that bad. If you haven't gotten into a U.S. school after multiple attempts, then consider if it's worth going to the Caribbean.
As for Caribbean schools, I've heard St. Georges is the most respected. Many of the professors are retired from U.S. medical schools and the curriculum will adequately prepare you for Step 1. The bigger challenge with Caribbean schools is finding clinical rotations in the U.S., which are absolutely essential if you hope to do residency here.

My opinion is that you do better to seek entrance into non-Carribean (excepting the UWI) foreign med schools first. And this is the general consensus as well. Australia, Ireland, Europe and others.

Members don't see this ad :)
when i said i have a guaranteed residenciy, its just that. Long story short, one of my professors said that if i attend St. Georges, he will personally place me in the residency program at his hospital. so given that i already have a foot in a residency program (albiet not the greatest at that), should i consider the caribbean? my biggest hesitation is that i will not be adequealty educated offshore, and will therefore suffer when i return to the us when im up against us grads.

I would not worry about the academics at SGU putting you sub-par. You might worry about the price, though. :eek: All the same, I bet your prof would give the same offer if you graduated from a place like Flinders or RCSI.

Not to be a pessimist but do you have this in writing? Is this professor the Program Director or Chair of the Department?

The reason I ask is that I have friends who were also "promised" spots - needless to say they are NOT at those places doing residency now. Do not allow yourself to put all your eggs into 1 basket and get burned.

Not to worry however, as it is likely that you will gain a residency spot, all else being equal, without the promise.

Best of luck. :D

Hey whts up!

as to the reply of hte intial question. Yes those ppl that stated that one must complete the USMLE and etc are absolutely correct. However, I went to an open house for SGU. all the alums they had over there, all had residencies here in Chicago. One was even the chief resident. As far as the education they receive I believe its all individual based. If you saw their facilites or talked to people that have gone there, they are soooooo much better than what American Schools have. In addition, it's easy to get in they say, but you are gonna be competing with Ex-pharmacists, EMTS, etc. In that aspect, your gonna be challenged too the upmost, even so than POSSIBLY over here. I mean i'm also considering SGU just cuz my GPA isnt the greatest either. However, like i said, finding a residency in anything but say surgery, isnt a problem. I mean most 3rd and 4th year rotations (actually of them) now are done in the US! so all u gota do is make a good impression on the people who you do ur rotations for. secondly, the CSA, clinical skills thing i hear is a joke. As long as u were born in the states, and can speak English, well and can communicate, you are fine!

I mean I guess essentially the only difference is that one has graduated from a non us school, but so what! i mean if you can get that chief res spot like anyone from here, you're just as good, if not better since you had to go through more hurdles.
In the end I was told.. no matter where you come from, US or not, it depends on the individual doctor and his style to see how good he is.

so imean its ur call.

peace hope this helps

I asked St George's US office for phone numbers of some of its graduates now working in Texas (my home state). You can imagine my surprise when I called up one of them and discovered that she was chief resident at one of the hospitals right here in the world-renowned Texas Medical Center. My point basically is that even if you go overseas for med school, becoming a doctor mainly depends on the effort you put into it.