Caribbean Med Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MajicDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

i am a mature student (28), holding a RPN (registered practical nursing) license (2 year program) and going into my 3rd year at Queen's University in Ontario. i wanna apply for one of the big 4 med schools in Caribbean and specifically Saba. my gpa is very low at Queen's ~2.5 however my gpa from nursing school is 3.2.what are my chances go get into any of this 4 schools?

Tanx

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I think you'll get in any of the "big 4" as long as your MCAT is 23+. I'd recommend attending SGU/Ross over Saba if you get in them.

More importantly, if you are certain on attending an international school (DO retaking would also be a better option, if you're interested), then I would suggest that you look in some other schools with better reputations. The University of Queensland Ochsner program, Irish schools, and Technion in Israel come to mind. These schools, possibly, may be looked upon more favorably when it comes to reputation/residency match. Perhaps someone else could give their thoughts on this as well.

Personally, I'd choose UQ over any Carib. school due to their direct partnership with Ochsner Healthcare in LA. This could definitely become a possible residency location for many students, as UQ students have their clinical rotations in LA, and relationships can be formed. Regardless, I believe this program has significantly higher admittance standards than the Carib schools.

Honestly, I think you'll get in any of the "big 4" as long as your MCAT is 23+. I'd recommend attending SGU/Ross over Saba if you get in them.

More importantly, if you are certain on attending an international school (DO retaking would also be a better option, if you're interested), then I would suggest that you look in some other schools with better reputations. The University of Queensland Ochsner program, Irish schools, and Technion in Israel come to mind. These schools, possibly, may be looked upon more favorably when it comes to reputation/residency match. Perhaps someone else could give their thoughts on this as well.

Personally, I'd choose UQ over any Carib. school due to their direct partnership with Ochsner Healthcare in LA. This could definitely become a possible residency location for many students, as UQ students have their clinical rotations in LA, and relationships can be formed. Regardless, I believe this program has significantly higher admittance standards than the Carib schools.

thank you very much for your kind response. i guess since im Canadian so i can not get any loan to attend American schools and im only able to receive loans for Caribbean schools.
my other reason for attending SABA is due the fact SABA is a cheaper school and i will have a better chance to get a residency in Canada.
is there any specific reason that you think SGU or Ross are better than SABA?