Caribbean Medical Schools: St. George's University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Great school!

SGU is easily the 'best' offshore school. It's campus is like a resort, the pass rate for the boards for US citizens matches those of US med schools, and you can do all your clinicals in the US, which will give you an advantage when you apply for residency. However the main drawback is the price, I think its about 25 K/year, not including housing and other costs of living. But I guess you get what you pay for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if St. George's University has a scribe or note taking service available to it's freshman students? I called the Bayshore offices and they said they were not sure. Thanks in advance for any info.

SB

SGU lectures by and large give you notes. Some are more complete and require no additional info from your research, some require your editing. No note service is necessary. I am happy to asnwer and Q's about sgusom. My site which is completely graduate run is http://travel.to/sgusom
FYI I am in intenrship at SUNY Upstate Medical U and will be doing rt-Oncology at Johns Hopkins next year (ie July 2000)

can you take your signficant other (unmarried) and your dog down there? and can your s.o. find a job if they do come down there?

There is a note service thing for some of the courses. It's not as official as at US schools, but you can buy that stuff if you want it (it's usually from previous year's lectures, not from current lectures, but it's close enough). They also have old exams for sale too and yes, lots of old questions are repeated.

They also have this club called the SO club. Lots of people bring their entire family, dog and all, down to Grenada. Be aware that you are living in Grenada for one and a half years and the remaining half year is spent at St Vincent (90 miles north of Grenada) because of St Vincent's Kingtown Medical Center. You'll be doing two week rotations at the hospital during your final Caribbean semester.

They have dumped millions and millions of dollars into their Grenada True Blue campus. Freshmans are probably housed there now and not at the run down hotel on Grand Anse beach (the most beautiful white sand beach on the planet).

The histo lab is state of the art, better than a few of the US medical schools that I have seen. The anatomy/neuro lab is nice and new, about comparable to US medical school anat labs. Micro/path lab is a bit old. Not terrible but not great.

They have three lecture halls, very modern in two of them and a bit older for the third one. They were building a new library as I was leaving, so it's probably in use now. The campus looks like the US. If you live on campus, you've lost the opportunity to immerse yourself in a third world way of life. With black outs, the campus kicks into the generator power. With water shut offs at night, the campus has hot water stored up in tanks. It's just like the US. Im' not sure if they laid cable tv lines to the dorms in the campus yet, but cable tv is available in Grenada (makes a big difference if you're living there for months on end). ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, ESPN, ESPN2, HBO, Cinemax, TNT, Discovery, etc. I don't think they have FOX, so you can't watch Ally McBeal or X files. Have your friends tape it and Fed Ex it to you!

They are on UK power, 220 volt, 5 amp. Drives on the left side of the road. Gas is something like $3-5 a gallon. Cars are really expensive because there aren't many on the island. Food is airshipped there, so it's expensive, except for some tropical fruits (bananas, mangos, coconut) indigenous to the island. Now is the opportunity to try native foods, callaloo soup or lambi chowder...yummy.

They have student clubs there, AMSA, ER club, etc. You can keep busy with health fairs into the community to serve the locals as well as the wonderful orphans from the Sapadilla Orphanage. You can visit the beach or rain forest and bathe under a water fall.
Students are very very competitive and cut throat at SGU. Grades are very high and tension is high too. Students routinely study until 2am at the library and lecture halls. Test averages can range up to 85%! Some students are older, in fact, there's a wide range of ages and backgrounds with SGU students. Non Traditional students tend not to be as wealthy as the traditional-just-graduated-from-college students, but more than a few of SGU students have a few dollars in their pockets.

Regular semesters are about $13,000 while the single summer session between 1st and 2nd year runs about $7,000. Rent isn't bad there, but phone calls to the states can be about $2/minute or higher. Phone cards are handy. Better yet, bring a lap top and use ICQ or AOL Instant messanger to keep in touch.

The roads are dirt gravel roads with a few paved roads with pot holes. They have a KFC/Pizza hut, but also lots of local restaurants (local cuisine, Italian, French Chinese). Their super markets (3 of them around the area, two requires car or bus) are small and can be pretty spartan sometimes...food is expensive as you would expect. Lots of people bring back tons of food back from the States when they go home for vacation.

Lots of time spent with standardized patients (most students felt this was a waste of their time).

They have a 5 year program for academically challenged students. Profs are accessible (assoc dean was my neighbor in our apt) as are the dean/adminstration. The chancellor comes down a few times per semester and is the provential politician, kissing babies and shaking hands with a perfect smile.

They have OSCEs in St Vincent right before you take off for your USMLE Step One. There is also two comprehensive exams called the BSCE (Basic Science Comprehension Exam). The BSCE 2 is similar to Step 1. If you pass BSCE 2, then you'll probably pass USMLE Step 1. Step 1 pass rate is pretty good, like 92% and up. Step 2 pass rate is unknown to me, but it's not that good. Those that do pass, tend to pass with poor scores. Even overachieving classmates did poorly on Step 2, not sure what happened. Perhaps it's a reflection on the student, perhaps it's a reflection on the hospitals? Be aware before you sign the dotted line.

The rotations are offered in the US and UK. Usually in NY/NJ...and the North east/Midwest, plus a few hospitals that allow a few rotations in CA. Some hospitals are great, some are modern day indentured servitude/slave bondage. That's the same for all schools.

Students usually sign out side of the match for a residency slot, and usually at second tier university affiliated hospitals in the NY/NJ region in Internal Med or Family Practice. Those that match can match in University primary care programs, some very prestigious. The occasional surgical match is possible, but it's usually not at a "prestigious" hospital.

If you can't get into a US school, then SGU is a good choice. Transferring out of SGU is usually not an option unless you are a Florida resident with a spouse and kids in Florida, then U of Miami might look at you.

------------------

Michael Chan, you have stolen my schpeil. Id have to agree with pretty much all over the above. About the note service, there are always a couple of students who try to sell notes theyve taken previous semesters and sell them. Dont buy it. The notes you get in class for most courses are complete; particularly 1st term with the exception of anatomy which gives you an outline you fill in as the course progresses.
Always happy to answer any sgu questions that Michael hasn't covered already...
-Stephanie
SGUSOM
'99 http://travel.to/sgusom

I want to add to Michael's post above; the step 1 pass rate for US citzens is 95% and over all 93 or 94% (I forget which.) The step two scores arent compiled with accuracy but Dr John Madden has told me the anecdotal pass rate is in the mid 80's and I do trust Dr. Maddens integrity and honesty. He is unflinching in his presentation of the place. US med school sept two pass rates are about mid 80's to 100% -its felt the mediocre pass rate is 2nd to inconsistencies in education that come with training at so many different hospitals and no firm centralization (as there is no 'home base' academically back in the us like for us med schools.) Finally, in my year and this past year step 2 rates tend to be within 10 pts higher or lower from step one (mostly about 5-10 lower) which is new since the change in style with the step two becoming more challenging and clinical. However the scores are not 'just above passing' as a rule of thumb; that makes sence if you think that the mean pass score fro sgu is between 200 and 205 for step one.
All the best
Steph

I should mention that you are at Grenada for 1.5 years and the remaining half year will be at St Vincent, 90 miles North of Grenada. The Grenadian hospitals are a joke so they put you in St Vincent because the Kingtown Med Center is better (still deshovelled by US standards). You do 2 week rotations in a specialty during your last semester in the Caribs in the St Vincent hospital. You can choose between all the standard specialties (surgery, anesth, Internal med, peds, OB, etc) and you must have a min of 13 of them by the time the semester is out (they might have upped that to 20 rotations).

\

I have a few questions about SGU. Up until now, my knowledge about Carribean medical schools has been all you need to get into one of them is a pulse. How true or false this is I do not know. Is this true of SGU? Also, upon completion of the medical school cirriculum there, will it be difficult to get a residency position here in the USA? I ask this because I know that international medical school graduates are being treated differently nowadays. Also, the application process for SGU seems to be different as well. If I will be a senior in college in August 2000, when do I apply? Do I wait until January and apply for the September entering class or what? It's quite different from AMCAS, this is why I ask.

Thanks for any help!
Imtiaz

Hi Imtiaz.

SGU is a well respected school and a viable alternative if you can't get into a US school. THe pass rate is 94% for US seniors on the USMLE the first time 'round and 90% of the incoming class sit the boards with the rest of the class (CAREFUL! Many carib schools leave out the latter part of that statement as a qualifier). I am a grad currently at Johns Hopkins in rad-oncology Please email with any q's.

[email protected]

All the best,
Steph

I am a recently retired prof of biology/premed advisor for 40 years. I agree with the opinions expressed above. SGU should be a first choice for the Caribbean. I would put Ross on Dominca second. I have visited both schools. Grenada is more posh than Dominica. In New York state, only graduates of those 2 Caribbean schools are approved for residency. (Grads of many other foreign medical schools are approved, but in the Caribbean, only those two). I believe a few other states have taken that position, California being one of them.

------------------

I have a question for some of you that have gone through the process. Did you guys consider osteopathic school instead of offshore schools? and if accepted to DO schools, why you went offshore instead.

I didn't seriously consider DO school; I work with DO's and I would consider it if it appeals to you. I just didn't know much about it and it seemed to me like SGU was the next step if a US school didn't accept me. Its 6 of one, half a dozen of another from where I sit now; you can do very well from each.
Steph

Digging up this old thread that sheds light on experience at SGU

ahh don't necro threads please. This stuff is from 2000, so its difficult to apply in 2013. Things have changed dramatically since.