Caribbean Medical Schools

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by silver_eyes, Oct 1, 2001.

1. silver_eyes

silver_eyes Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What do u guys tink of the caribbean medical schools? i like Ross university. the curriculum and the availablity of state of the art equipment is just like or exceeds that of the US.

Which Caribbean univ. is not that good? Why?

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Boo Boo

Boo Boo Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

You're just a freshman! What med schools you'll be going to is the last thing you should think about. Wait until you start applying before you even do that. Chances are you might not even want to do medicine this time next year, if not this time next semester. It happens all the time.
    I don't mean to be an ass. it's just you're just a freshman! Worry about that next chemistry test in 3 weeks, not which med schools to apply to 3 years from now.

But to answer your question: Ross and SGU are good, but it's the last place you should go. too many hoops to jump through to come back to the US. And it's extremely hard to get a residency, no matter what their web page says.

4. Medic171

Medic171 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    see the same post by me 1 week ago

5. Biz Markie

Biz Markie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Bwaahaahahahahaha Silver Eyes is a nerd! Bwahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!! Relax Nerd!

6. snowballz

snowballz Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Biz Markie,

I would much rather be a nerd, than behave as immaturely as you do regarding Silver Eyes posts.

I am only in my second semester of college, but am scoping out med schools..why do so much research when you're applying? Why not know what each school is like now? What is wrong with being prepared? If that makes me a nerd, than I thank you for the kind compliment. Yes, I am a nerd.

Alicia

7. Teufelhunden

Teufelhunden 1K Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    silver-eyes,

Please don't take to heart any of the negative comments you've received - I started scoping out med schools my first semester of college (I was 25 when I started school, but that's beside the point). Anyway, I think doing early research into your options is a sign of maturity and focus.

Anyway, I've heard great things about St. George's and Ross. Good luck.

8. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I applaud you as well for your drive and desire to stay ahead of the game.

Just promise one thing...don't become one of these obsessive-compulsive premeds who spends all their time studying and bitching to other people about what a certain professor thinks about them. There are enough of those in the world.

Do well in school, study hard for the MCAT, stay well rounded, do community service. You will be able to get into any school you set your eyes on. You just need to focus, have the attitude (always positive), and kiss butt. (can't hurt)

And one more very important thing...don't listen to ignorant people.

9. r124c41

r124c41 Member
    7+ Year Member

All you need to consider at this point is whether you have the academic aptitude to be an MD. Put simply, you have to be smart but you don't have to be a genius. You just started college. Did you get between 1300 and 1400 on your SAT? If so, then all you have to work on, maybe, are your study skils. Also, take the easiest acceptable required courses and course load you can. No matter what anyone says, the adcoms are looking for a 3.5 with the required courses. You get little credit for doing more and would be taking great risks by doing more. Taking harder courses or a harder courseload is like wetting yourself while wearing black pants; it gives you a warm feeling but no one else will notice.

10. snowballz

snowballz Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

What does the SAT have to do with academic success? I never took the thing and have a 3.8 GPA.

Alicia

11. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

The SAT verbal can be correlated to the MCAT verbal. Yes, the SAT is much easier, but you're also much dumber when you take it. :)

12. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'll move this to the International Forum. :D

13. nero

nero Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The MCAT verbal is nothing like the SAT verbal. The SAT verbal has the sentence completion and analogies and not just reading passages. If one has a poor vocab, then they will bomb the SAT verbal, however, they can still do well on the critical reading part and that is the only part you need for the MCAT.

nero

14. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you want to consider international schools like Caribbean ones just for the sake of international study, that's great :). I'm sorry, I can't help you on which Caribbean school is the worst, but I think Ross and St. George's is rather reputed. However, if you apply international...why not look at places elsewhere than the Caribbean? there's a lot of stigma attached to attending a Caribbean medical school and you'd be much better off at a US school. If you're looking for a "backup plan," don't set yourself up for failure :) If you're just a freshman, don't worry about this stuff yet. I'm sure you'll be fine. Wait a couple years and see how your GPA and scores are. And have fun.

15. preludexl

preludexl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I applied to a 7 year med school in high school and got in. I didnt go into it because the curriculum they sent me was extremely packed and hard. So I went the 4 year route. When I was a freshman, I made an excel spreadsheet that mapped my whole years based on classes I needed to take for my major. Each semester I entered my grades and the spreadsheet spat out what my science GPA was compared to my cumulative GPA. If I got a B in a class, I immediately entered possible courses I needed to take to get back a "target" GPA. I don't think Silvereyes is a nerd at all.

16. silver_eyes

silver_eyes Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    you made my day! i bombed the SAT verbal part. I think i got a 480 on it. it really sucked. I guess since i am the first generation college student in my family.

so, the MCAT thing. what u mean you can do good in the critcal reading part? I thought the readings are really hard to read.

Thanks though.

17. nikappella

nikappella Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

the sat verbal is NOTHING like the mcat verbal. i haven't taken the mcat yet, but i've taken tpr practice tests and score around 11 on the verbal, which doesn't correlate at all to my 510 sat verbal score. yes, there's hope yet!