Caribbean or Ireland for a Canadian?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Michael W48

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am a resident of Alberta going to Queen's University in Ontario, Canada. I have applied to premedicine (3rd year of it) at St. Georges and got an interview (This means that to get my MD I would do this third year of pre-med then 4 yrs of med = 5 years total). I also just got accepted into medicine at University College Dublin in Ireland (5 yr. program). I have done two years at Queen's. I am either going to Ireland or St.Georges for sure next year and I don't know which to pick. My final goal is to practice medicine in the States. I realize that SGU teaches the American curriculum and allows you to make contacts while you do rotations in the states - but the Irish school has a 100% success for their their Canadian students recieving residencies in the states after passing the UCLME (which they all do). It also has a good reputation. Cost is not an issue (the difference isn't very much).

Does anyone know how hard it is to do well and prepare for the UCLME after going through a European curriculum? I don't wan't to make life hard by learning two different curriculums and struggling on the UCLME or possibly not passing.

Any thoughts on my situation? Thanks for the help

Mike

Members don't see this ad.

On my acceptance letter it says that last year and in previous years 100% of their Canadian graduates recieved recidencies in the United States. I am assuming this is true but have no idea how I would verify it. All I know is that the school has a good reputation. Why do you ask if this is possible?

Members don't see this ad :)
from what I've heard from many students and residency directors, by all means DO NOT go to a Caribbean school. It is very much looked down upon and holds a great stigma.

my two cents.

Although I know nothing about either, I would choose to go to Ireland.

You do have to study and pass all the US board exams. But I don't think a European curriculum would put you at any significant disadvantage in preparing to take the exams, EXCEPT for timing (you might have to take them at different time in your studies than US and Caribbean students do).

to be honest, i would say that you likely will get similar results from both places. both are know to be excellent, as far as offshore schools go.

i think SGU may have the edge when it comes to USMLE, as the european system may not be designed specifically toward the USMLE. this is something to consider. i would have really appreciated a curriculum that was designed to get me the highest score possible. while you can still do well, and you learn the same thing, i think that a USMLE based course can get you a few extra, precious points on the USMLE.

a second thing to consider would be clinicals. do you want to do them all in the states? or is ireland ok? i personally think that people put far too much emphasis on this, as you can get great clinical experience outside of the states. as long as you get a few solid rotations in the states, you should be fine...but, again, if it is important to you, SGU will have more opportunity for that.

really, when the schools you are looking at are of similar quality, it will really come down to where you can thrive. they will both give you the education you need, they will both provide you with a great opportunity to return to the states. look at what is different about the schools (location, clinicals, cost, methods of teaching, testing, etc..), and how important each of these things are to you. figure out where you fit in, and go for it!

best of luck.