CARIBBEAN SCHOOL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dknykid1980

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of people look down on offshore schools. HOwever, I was wondering if anyone had any input on caribbean schools. It seems like if one can get over the stigma of being from offshore, its all good. I know this one kid who is a chief resident at a hospital who graduated from a carib school. What are people's ideas ???

Members don't see this ad.

I'd much prefer to stay inland at allopathic or osteopathic schools instead of ClubMed med schools...they are only acknowledged in certain states...

Not true. Caribbean grads are treated like all other IMGs and subjected to the same obstacles as those from India, Pakistan, etc. In fact, there are caribbean graduates practicing in every state. If you went to one of the top 3 caribbean schools, St. George's, Ross, and AUC, you shouldn't have much trouble as long as you study hard and pass your exams. Those three schools have a decent, if not good, track record and reputation. In fact, the chief resident of Family Medicine at the hospital I work at is a graduate of AUC. Caribbean schools are an option, but you should exhaust all options in the US and make sure that you're determined to put up with alot of crap if you choose to go. If there is one school in the caribbean that would be comparable to a US school, it's St. George's. Visit their website at www.sgu.edu. I'd say that 99% of all US born citizens WHO MAKE IT TO PASS THE BOARDS get a residency. They also have graduates practicing in all 50 states. No lie. Also, if you're interested in other foreign schools, check into Irish and Aussie schools. They're well-respected institutions..moreso than caribbean schools. I hope this helps. If you need more info, don't hesitate to ask.

Peace

Members don't see this ad :)
Most reputable ones are recognized in most states. Three of them (plus a scad in the DR and one in Haiti, if you include those among "the carribean") even in California.

It is a path that has its drawbacks, to be sure. Yet, with high motivation, flexibility and adaptability, and in many cases a large purse, one can become a competent physician via this route.