Knicks17

"First Pakistani-American Surgeon General?"
2+ Year Member
May 1, 2016
Concrete Jungle
Status
Pre-Medical
Just curious after hurricane Irma wiped out the Caribbean, are the schools there still open? (No, I don't want to go to the caribbean for med school!)

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
About the Ads

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
No loss there.
Lets have some sympathy for the students who just move there two weeks ago. Some 700 students were there about 500 Americans. Sint Marteen was a full on disaster

Lawper

Cat-box cycle
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
forums.studentdoctor.net

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
But AUC has the finances to rebuild and continue to function right?
Yes.
1) AUC should have insurance to cover the physical loss of the campus
2) AUC should have some form of business insurance that will cover some of the loss of operations
3) Adtalem (formerly DeVry) is the parent company of AUC and can take a loss on its corporate tax for both loss of the campus as well as loss of business from that.
4) Adtalem as a publicly traded company, has mechanisms to raise more capital and/or reduce dividends

Lawper

Cat-box cycle
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
forums.studentdoctor.net
Yes.
1) AUC should have insurance to cover the physical loss of the campus
2) AUC should have some form of business insurance that will cover some of the loss of operations
3) Adtalem (formerly DeVry) is the parent company of AUC and can take a loss on its corporate tax for both loss of the campus as well as loss of business from that.
4) Adtalem as a publicly traded company, has mechanisms to raise more capital and/or reduce dividends
Okay that's what I believed. It would be unusual if the Caribbean business model is shattered by weather phenomena

May 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Okay that's what I believed. It would be unusual if the Caribbean business model is shattered by weather phenomena
Recovery should not only take money but also time, right? How much time should it take for them to recover?
I wonder whether students in carribean will suffer in the mean time.

OP
Knicks17

Knicks17

"First Pakistani-American Surgeon General?"
2+ Year Member
May 1, 2016
Concrete Jungle
Status
Pre-Medical
If AUC got wiped out do the students have to wait one year to start or to continue school?

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
City of the Future
Status
Medical Student

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
maybe I'm just naive when it comes to this, but isnt the point of carib med schools being in the carib that they couldnt be accredited to operate inside the US? Does this temporary move to Chicago raise any additional problems for the students/schools?
Likely no more issues than before. While physically these US Citizens will be residing in US state under the auspices of a US Company (DeVry), legally and institutionally, they will be earning degrees from AUC, an institution chartered in Sint Maarten, and therefore will be IMGs

Last edited:
Reactions: QueenJames
Jan 8, 2013
Status
Academic Administration
Just curious after hurricane Irma wiped out the Caribbean, are the schools there still open? (No, I don't want to go to the caribbean for med school!)
Trinity School of Medicine is located in St. Vincent and the Grenadines which is one of the Southern-most Caribbean islands and well below the typical Caribbean 'hurricane belt'. Thankfully, St. Vincent was not affected by Irma or Maria beyond minimal rain and wind.

About the Ads