caribbean students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saori

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to know what Caribbean students are labeled as upon their arrival to the US. Are they "slackers", "unprepared", "handicapped"? I am studying at UASD in the Dominican Republic and although I am a US resident, I would like to be familiar with the process of applying to an american residency program. Does it help if I do a thesis or can I just do a review paper? More info please. I'm very concerned and my last resort is to apply in a japanese program. Help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what med grads from the carribean r 'labeled' as, but i can tell you about a friend who attended med school there and did her rotations at hosps across the country. She recently withdrew from the match coz she accepted a peds offer at a really good program. So i guess it really depends on several factors- your grades, usmle scores, etc. Also depends in a big way, on which specialty you're interested in.

thank you, keep it coming
:clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, if you plan to practice in the DR--your post does not make it clear whether you plan to practice in the US after a potential US residency--I would not balk in the slightest itty-bitty-bit at doing PG training in Japan (providing you have the langauge skills, that is).

I'm not sure where I want to set up practice. I know it may seem odd, but it depends on whether i marry my current bf or not. If we do marry, we might end up coming back here after the program ends. My japanese is fair, but i have to work on it a little. I guess my idea of medicine is to be where I can be of most help (corny, huh?). I might want to go on some international mission right after the program, regardless of whether or not I marry...

Originally posted by saori:
•I guess my idea of medicine is to be where I can be of most help (corny, huh?). I might want to go on some international mission right after the program, regardless of whether or not I marry...•••

Oh, gracious, that is the furtherest thing from being corny. In fact, it's worth one of these fellas: :clap:

If you will do a search with the name Ira Scudder at a good search engine, you will find a great story of a great lady who was a great internationalist physician. The info may encourage you.

Ooops! My apologies!

That is Ida Scudder, with a "d", not an "r" in the first name.

Here's a good click with her name:

<a href="http://google.yahoo.com/bin/query?p=Ida+Scudder&hc=0&hs=0" target="_blank">http://google.yahoo.com/bin/query?p=Ida+Scudder&hc=0&hs=0</a>

thanks stephen!

I'm a caribbean student who did my 3rd and 4th years in the US. I think that you have to prove yourself to most of the attendings that you come across. Some of them have preconceived notions about caribbean students, but most of them will beleive in you if you prove yourself. Some attendings, however will always treat you like you are second class no matter how much better than the US students you are.

As far as residencies are concerned, it is not a problem for most all of us. If you want something uncompetetive such as internal medicine, family practice, pediatrics, pathology or even things that are moderately competetive like surgery, ob-gyn or anesthesia it is pretty easy. I applied for radiology, which is one of the most competetive fields and got some interviews. I also had to apply for internal medicine at the last moment and will pretty much have my choice of where I want to go, if I don't get radiology. All in all...........if you get good grades and have good USMLE scores you can do almost anything you want.