Caribbean vs Europe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trader56

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Continunig to try and find information, I'd like to ask what people think of the Caribbean vs European or Australian option.

Some background: I am a U.S. med student who formally withdrew from school at the end of my 2nd year due to ongoing health problems with one of my children. I'm now investigating possiblities ofr finishing my education, and looking for options that allow for "advanced standing" (not sure if that exactly the right term for this).

I had originally though the Caribbean would be the easiest way to go, but have just begun looking at some of the European/Australian options.

Can anyone compare/contrast these in terms of:
1) ease of re-entry to the U.S.,
2) how PD's view one vs the other (even thought both are technically IMG status)
3) lisencing issues
4) advanced standing possibilties
5) relevant considerations I haven't thought of LOL!

My thanks to Skip, Kimberli, and all the rest who've taken time to help me these last few weeks with my many posts and questions (often redundant, I know!) - I truly appreciate all your help!

Trader

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure this is probably something you've already thought of, but I'm not familiar with your situation, so I was just wondering...

Have you thought about trying to get back into a US school? How long ago did you withdraw? I mean, it's not like you didn't have a good reason? I would think as long as it was just within a couple of years or less, you might be able to get accepted into 3rd year somewhere. I'm curious about this myself, so if you've already thought about or tried this, please let me in on the situation.

Personally, if I had to go IMG, I'd go with one of the major Carib schools, who have good clinicals set up and few licensure difficulties. Your clinicals will pick back up in the US, they have established sites you can jump right into, and they will more than likely accept you with little or no hassle, being more than happy to take your money for little, if any, work on their part.

Just my $0.02

Members don't see this ad :)
I think, on the whole, it'd be cheaper to go Carib route as well. Plus (as others have said), you can get your clinicals set-up in the U.S. a lot easier than coming from a European/Aussie school. But, there are people who've done the latter successfully (like Kimberli Cox). Still, whatever you do, don't underestimate the importance of doing your clinicals in the U.S. I was asked this several times on the interview circuit this year (i.e., "you did all your clinical rotations in the U.S., right?").

-Skip

There probably is a delineation between European and Carib schools, as those from European/Aussie schools wouldn't be expected to complete all clinical rotations in the US (for the reason that core clinical rotations would be done through their hospitals). Most in Europe set up US electives alright, but find barriers to some places like having to be in final year and completed all core rotations or having USMLE Step 1 scores (which essentially means you have to be in final year to be eligible). However, the most exposure to the US the better, and the Carib schools put you in US placements for the 2 clinical years. Some European schools would offer advanced standing, I'm not sure about Carib schools but I couldn't see why they wouldn't...

I'd take the advice of the first responder and try to continue education in the US...would it be a possibility to continue with your old medical school? You did have a valid and uncontrollable reason for withdrawing...

I know a friend who finished first two years of dental school and then she went to a caribean medical school. I believe they gave her "advance position" there so she didn't have to repeat the same subjects. She did her clinicals in Miami and NY.