caries vaccine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jone

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what ever became of the caries vaccine being developed in england that was supposed to come out in 2001 or 2002?

of the various vaccines being developed, i thought that one had the best chance of being succesful since it does not strictly target s. mutans, but rather all bacteria in the mouth.

Members don't see this ad.

I would not be in a hurry for my immune system to be altered so that it would attack and kill all the bacteria that might wish to take up residence in my mouth. Some may actually make postive contributions to my oral health and/or also deliver benefits when living in other parts of my body.

I have heard some people say that a caries vaccine will put dentists out of business. My reply: there is already a cure out there for cavities and most perio problems...it's called good oral hygiene!

Members don't see this ad :)
hehe - vaccine for caries :))
as jda said - get vaccinated twice a day and that is it.

A big problem with the early vaccines is that they elicit an immune response in the animal models that are taking it, resulting in inflammation and such.

I have only heard of Dr. Hillman's work at UF. What other vaccine research is out there from England?

well, besides, UF, there are two others i know of that are already in clinicals.

a pair of researchers at harvard who administer it as nose drops, and some researchers in england who administer it directly to teeth.

all 3 have (UF included) had success on rats with no negative side effects, and all 3 are in clinicals right now.

Thanks for the info.

so in summary:

UF:
replace S.mutans with non-cariogenic S. mutans which does not produce acid.

Harvard:
Introduce an antigen that eventually tells the immune system to destroy the chemical that allows s. mutans to latch on to the teeth.

england: ?????????????????