carotid endarterectomy in the prevention of stroke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DNASplicer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought that if a pt was asymptomatic the benefit of carotid endarterectomy was minimal. (I recall reading studies along these lines when I was on surgery.) Therefore, just used ASA and reduction of atherosclerotic RF.

Am I off base here? There was a usmleWorld question that states 60-90% steniss is an indication for surg...

thanx

Members don't see this ad.

DNASplicer said:
I thought that if a pt was asymptomatic the benefit of carotid endarterectomy was minimal. (I recall reading studies along these lines when I was on surgery.) Therefore, just used ASA and reduction of atherosclerotic RF.

Am I off base here? There was a usmleWorld question that states 60-90% steniss is an indication for surg...

thanx

Yea UW is right...in general 70% stenosis is the threshold for CEA...even in asymptomatic pts.

pt gets CEA if 50% stenosis and symptomatic, or 60-70% stenosis and asymptomatic (depends who you talk to, the vascular surgeon i did my 3rd year surg rotation said 60%).

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, I believe it's controversial. Now that I've looked, I have seen 60% in asympt pt and 70% and I have seen different numbers for men and women, but that's real world. Step 2 I don't think will be so controversial. I will be choosing CEA in asympt pt with 60% stenosis.

splicer

from the 2007 Boards & Wards:

Symptomatic pt: (1) >70% stenosis (2) h/o multiple TIAs (3) previous CVA

Asymptomatic pt: >75% stenosis

B&Ws even says it controversial though

DNASplicer said:
yes, I believe it's controversial. Now that I've looked, I have seen 60% in asympt pt and 70% and I have seen different numbers for men and women, but that's real world. Step 2 I don't think will be so controversial. I will be choosing CEA in asympt pt with 60% stenosis.

splicer