• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

carotid endarterectomy in the prevention of stroke

DNASplicer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2005
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    I thought that if a pt was asymptomatic the benefit of carotid endarterectomy was minimal. (I recall reading studies along these lines when I was on surgery.) Therefore, just used ASA and reduction of atherosclerotic RF.

Am I off base here? There was a usmleWorld question that states 60-90% steniss is an indication for surg...

thanx

VincentAdultman

15+ Year Member
    Jun 18, 2005
    New York
    1. Attending Physician
      DNASplicer said:
      I thought that if a pt was asymptomatic the benefit of carotid endarterectomy was minimal. (I recall reading studies along these lines when I was on surgery.) Therefore, just used ASA and reduction of atherosclerotic RF.

Am I off base here? There was a usmleWorld question that states 60-90% steniss is an indication for surg...

thanx

Yea UW is right...in general 70% stenosis is the threshold for CEA...even in asymptomatic pts.

About the Ads

DNASplicer

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Nov 19, 2005
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        yes, I believe it's controversial. Now that I've looked, I have seen 60% in asympt pt and 70% and I have seen different numbers for men and women, but that's real world. Step 2 I don't think will be so controversial. I will be choosing CEA in asympt pt with 60% stenosis.

splicer

dividedsky

7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Dec 25, 2003
          from the 2007 Boards & Wards:

Symptomatic pt: (1) >70% stenosis (2) h/o multiple TIAs (3) previous CVA

Asymptomatic pt: >75% stenosis

B&Ws even says it controversial though

DNASplicer said:
          yes, I believe it's controversial. Now that I've looked, I have seen 60% in asympt pt and 70% and I have seen different numbers for men and women, but that's real world. Step 2 I don't think will be so controversial. I will be choosing CEA in asympt pt with 60% stenosis.

splicer

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.