Carotid stenosis confusion??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drkcumb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Can anybody clear up a few questions for me because I have been finding conflicting information on carotid stenosis of when you perform a carotid endarterectomy in COMLEX and USMLE questions-

1. do you perform a endarterectomy in asymptomatic patients if the stenosis is greater than or equal to 60%?

2. do you perform an endarterectomy in symptomatic pts if the stenosis is greater than or equal to 50%?

3. What is the cut off of when a carotid blockage is no longer considered stable? 50%?

Thanks for any of your guys' input!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Can anybody clear up a few questions for me because I have been finding conflicting information on carotid stenosis of when you perform a carotid endarterectomy in COMLEX and USMLE questions-

1. do you perform a endarterectomy in asymptomatic patients if the stenosis is greater than or equal to 60%?

2. do you perform an endarterectomy in symptomatic pts if the stenosis is greater than or equal to 50%?

3. What is the cut off of when a carotid blockage is no longer considered stable? 50%?

Thanks for any of your guys' input!

The standard line for carotids is:
>70% stenosis in an asymptomatic patient
>50% stenosis in a symptomatic patient
>50% stenosis and an unstable plaque

So in answer to your questions:
1) No
2) Yes
3) "Stable" is not defined by percentage obstruction