carpal tunnel syndrome & dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericyuan007

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Carp

Members don't see this ad.

Hey EricYuan,

I think the Dean of Admissions at UMKC had the quit practicing dentistry for this very reason. Other then him, I have not heard of anyone else who has encountered this obstacle.

Carpel Tunnel is a reversible condition that can be controlled. I think as long as your friend would pay special attention to how she held her hands, etc., that she would not have a problem. Perhaps she should discuss her personal condition with a doctor though.

I think that even if she did worsen her condition with dentistry that it is a rich career and there are other things that she could do with her degree that wouldn't cause her so much stress. (Teaching, public health, research). She would have other options besides just going into private practice.

Jessica

jes1ca said:
Carpel Tunnel is a reversible condition that can be controlled. I think as long as your friend would pay special attention to how she held her hands, etc., that she would not have a problem. Perhaps she should discuss her personal condition with a doctor though.

I have a mild case of carpal tunnel from excessive computer use much like your friend. I have been concerned about this. Like it was said above it is a reversible condition and only is problematic with a repeated position (i.e. resting your palm while typing), my pain comes only with prolonged pressure at the base of my wrist. So far in clinic and preclinic I have not found that I reproduce this position, and therefore it has not been a problem. At our school we are completely paperless, so it is a problem studying or taking notes in class on my laptop. Hopefully after D-school I wont have to study as much.

I also have a mild form of carpel tunnel.
I have noticed that dental school doesn't effect it.
In fact, it is only when I am on the computer for long periods of time that it bothers me. Preclinics is not a prob. at all.