carpal tunnel syndrome?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hazelmei

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone have any info on the chances of dentists developing carpal tunnel syndrome? or if someone already has CTS, will this greatly affect their clinical abilities in dental school and also in practice?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes! Dentists definitely suffer from Carpal tunnel syndrome due to the overuse of wrist joints with hyperextension manoeuvres during their work.

It could affect their clinical ability because of symptoms due to CTS.This could be avoided by ergonomic chairs and modified dentistry tools.
There are many modified tools in the market which reduces the stress of wrist joints.Even plumbers,electricians and other techinicians use modified tolls to prevent getting CTS.

It is likely that many dentists (among us) will get this. Fortunately, there is a surgery for it; and from what I understand, once you have had the surgery your syndrome is healed. The dentist I am currently working for has had the surgery done. It took them twenty minutes to do both his hands.

Anyway, I already look to have it done.