Carribbean vs. Indian Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deepa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Somebody plz help me :confused: .I am in second year Med School in INDIA. Does anyone hav a clue about IUHS, AUC, StMaarten or any other Carribean school which accepts tranfers.I am planning on transferring to a Carribean Med school so that I can do my clinical rotations in US :D .I talked to IUHS and they told me to apply for it.But i was wondering if i should go to some carribean school :rolleyes: so that i would be able to do my rotations in US ... or just stay calm and stay in the same Med school as even we get good USMLE scores. :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

What's IUHS? Are you an Indian citizen or an Indian-American? I'm an Indian-American who started med school in Hungary and just recently transferred into St. Eustatius (the newest Caribbean school) after getting my Step 1 scores back. I did it for the very same reason you're considering--to do my 3rd and 4th year rotations in the U.S. I strongly suggest you do the same. One of the HUGE factors that PD's look at when looking through applications is how much U.S. clinical experience one had. That's one of the factors they use to screen the huge amount of IMG applicants (that and Step 1 & 2 scores). So, IMO, YES, transfer back ASAP... if you can't be a U.S. grad, being a Caribbean grad is the next best thing. I'd be happy to help you if you have any further inquiries.

i would stay far, far away from IUHS (international university of the health sciences). i can't remember what island they're located on, but i don't think they have a single graduate practicing in the US. they promote some sort of "distance learning program"--ie you pay your expensive tuition and then learn everything over the internet.

Hey try to do your electives in some good US school. Check <a href="http://www.bcm.tmc.edu" target="_blank">www.bcm.tmc.edu</a> also there are several others. In the end scores are looked into for IMGs....I know....just matched and they turned down a chick with 1 year US experience (IMG) and took me though I had none because my scores were very very good. So in the end scores are it for FMG.